Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Natural Disasters - Tsunamis and Steve Smith

The local news is kind of slowing down as Christmas nears.

TSUNAMI WARNING

In the Daily Pilot this morning Joseph Serna give us a little overview of Newport Beach's Tsunami preparedness, HERE. If I lived on the peninsula I wouldn't feel very comforted, since it would be unlikely most people could escape from their homes to higher ground in the event of a Pacific tsunami. Also for reference you can read the essay I wrote about the probable impact of a large earthquake along the Newport-I
nglewood fault shortly after Hurricane Katrina, HERE. In it I mention the impact of a "local tsunami", caused by the quake.

GRANDMA STEVE

Daily Pilot columnist Steve Smith, who has attempted to be the grandmother to us all for years, provides us with his take on Christmas letters, HERE. Don't worry, Steve-o, you're not on our list...

And, for your viewing and listening pleasure, more Christmas music...



TROJAN MEN - ROCKIN' AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE



CHARLOTTE CHURCH - HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SING


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Gericault said...

I've worried about Tsunami's my entire life living in this area. One of the reasons I purchased my house here on the West Bluffs was because it was in a safe zone, yet beach close.
I've actually had conversations with my many friends that live in the Newport condos down at the end of 19th st. If the Tsunami warnig sounds they are all supposed to drop everything and come to my house.Run up the hill in Canyon Park if the roads get jammed.We've talked about it.
I pray it never happens....I've prepared in case it does.

12/22/2009 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Gericault, a drive up the Oregon coast will introduce you to their "Tsunami Evacuation Route" signs, which guide you to either high ground or routes inland. As we drove up Highway 1 in that state I found myself wondering just how effective that really is. Not many routes, too many people and, perhaps, too little time from warning to water.

Imagine being down at The Wedge when a Tsunami warning is given. Think you could make it to Hoag, for example, in time? Probably not. The roads on the peninsula would be packed, gridlocked.

Newport Beach's map shows flooding clear up to Jamboree at the Back Bay, including Fletcher Jones Mercedes dealership. He should begin selling amphicars! :-)

12/22/2009 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I'm still reporting and publishing! Merry Christmas!

12/23/2009 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Indeed you are, Amy, and doing it well, as usual! :-) All Newporters should visit Corona Del Mar Today frequently for the hot news from that little slice of heaven. That's why I have it linked!

12/23/2009 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home