Saturday, December 19, 2009

Marking A Sad Anniversary Again


SIX YEARS...
Six years ago today at 6:37 p.m. my best friend since we were 5 years old passed away as a result of injuries sustained during a motorcycle accident on a remote desert road not too far from Las Vegas. He spent the last six weeks in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit in a hospital in Vegas before succumbing to an untreatable blood clog that finally took him. I've written many times about my friend and his brave battle. You can read a summary HERE.

MY FRIEND, THE SINGER
Today, as I mark this sad anniversary, I want to share one more element of my friend. I've mentioned in the past that he, among other things, was a self-taught musician, writing songs and forming a band in our youth. He recorded a few of his tunes and the lyrics of a couple of them are available on the internet. In fact, he performed on television as an opening act for The Righteous Brothers, Bobby Hatfield and Bill Medley when they were beginning their careers.

UNDELIVERED MESSAGE
One of the sad ironies about Larry's passing is that the last email I sent to him - I didn't know he was off on a motorcycle tour with friends in Las Vegas - was to tell him that Bobby Hatfield had died of an apparent drug overdose in Las Vegas. My friend never got that message...

TWO TUNES TODAY

So, today I'll leave you with a couple video clips. One is of Bobby Hatfield singing his classic Unchained Melody. The second is another in my little series of Christmas selections for your listening pleasure. Enjoy..

BOBBY HATFIELD - UNCHAINED MELODY

LIBERA - GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home