Monday, December 28, 2009

Enough Celebratin' - Back To Work!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Welcome back! Hope y'all had a great Christmas holiday and that Santa Claus brought you everything you wanted. I also hope that our little array of Christmas ditties helped brighten your holiday.

NOW, BACK TO BUSINESS...


VERN, THE ENTERTAINER
Over at the Orange Juice Blog, the Rabid Derailer, Vern Nelson, continues to carry the baton on the sprint to the finish in the matter of the sale of the Orange County Fair and Events Center. He points out, HERE, that we only have a couple weeks in which to influence Sacramento law makers to pass Jose Solorio's AB 1
590, which will quash the sale.

TIME'S RUNNING OUT!
I agree with Nelson - each of us needs to communicate with as many of those knuckleheads in Sacramento as possible, encouraging them to vote for Solorio's bill, and we need to do it promptly. Nelson provides us with a list of telephone numbers to call, so please use then promptly. That big clock is ticking, folks...

SIGN OF THE TIMES
An observation for you of a sign of the times. I subscribe to alerts from the City of Costa Mesa which include announcements of Requests for P
roposals (RFPs) for projects being sent out to bid. Today I received an announcement showing existing projects with the cryptic comment that there are NO pending projects to be released for bids. Yikes!

MIXED FEELINGS

Along that same line, I checked this morning with members of The City Finance Department to see if any more employees had opted to choose the enhanced retirement plan. The window on that plan slams shut on December 31, 2009. I was advised that the previous number of 52 is still the last head count available. And, the staff confirmed that only six of those would be replaced. This, in my view, is one of those good news/bad news situations. I'm glad so many of our friends have chosen to take retirement early and find myself hoping that they've thought this out thoroughly. I'm also glad that only six will be replaced - the budget savings that will result is double what was anticipated. However, I really worry about the service levels we can now expect as a result of those departures and the empty seats aro
und City Hall. We're used to darn good response to calls for service - I suspect those days are over - for the next few years, at least.

GOOD NEWS? LET'S HEAR IT!

So, as this year heads for the finish line, let's try to find some good news. I'll await your help with that one....

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home