Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Remembering My Friend, Again

MARKING ANOTHER MILESTONE
Today, July 30, 2014, would have been my friend, Larry Moore's 73rd birthday.  I've written often about him, his life, our friendship and his untimely passing more than a decade ago.
BEST BUDS FROM THE BEGINNING
I've written about the friendship we shared as little guys - closer than many brothers.  We dated many of the same girls, participated in the same sports and shared a life that was very special. 
SERVED WITH PRIDE
I've written about his life as a member of the Los Angeles Police Department for more than three decades and the lives he affected as the Athletic Director at the LAPD Police Academy for the last half of that career.  He and his partner on the job, Chuck Foote, created the race depicted below.
 A PROUD P.I.G.
I've written about how he joked with his eldest daughter, Kara - who followed him into the LAPD and today is a detective in that department - about what it means to be called a "pig".  He told her it stood for Pride, Integrity and Guts, and that she should consider it a term of honor.
 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMIGO
Today is a reminder of what a great guy he was, and what a huge hole he left in the lives of those of us who called him our friend.  For most of the 57 years we were pals we shared our birthdays, since they were only a couple weeks apart.  Today I remember his...

Happy Birthday, amigo.  I miss you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous xyn bohemia said...

geoff-- im sorry you've had another long year without your beloved friend. it brings tears to my eyes everytime you memorialize him. and i cant believe it has been another year since. one bright side is that if you have this much love for another, you also have this much love from others! hang in there...

7/30/2014 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

You're very kind. You'd have loved my buddy... everybody did.

7/30/2014 12:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home