Friday, July 25, 2014

CM4RG Endorses Foley And Humphrey

THE DECISION
The non-partisan, politically diverse, grass-roots, citizen community action organization, Costa Mesans For Responsible Government (CM4RG), at their meeting Thursday evening, overwhelmingly selected former city council members Katrina Foley and Jay Humphrey to receive the group's endorsement for the November City Council election.


THE PROCESS
According to sources, candidates who had actually filed to run for one of the two council seats available in November were invited to be interviewed by an eleven member endorsement committee.  Not all the candidates that were invited responded to the invitations.  The endorsement committee  completed its task within the last few days and presented their recommendations to the larger membership at their meeting last night.

LIVELY DISCUSSION, THEN THE VOTE
Following what was described to me as a "lively discussion", the eligible members cast more than 100 blind ballots and the result, as I said above, was overwhelmingly for Foley and Humphrey.

HERE WE GO...
So, now it begins.  I don't know how Foley and Humphrey feel about this endorsement, but I suspect both will welcome it.  Nor do I know if they plan to run as a team.  I do know that polling has recently been conducted and that Foley has been the target of negative robocalls - unsual for this early in the race.

THE OTHERS...
The remaining candidates who have either announced that they are running and/or filed to run are:
Jim Righeimer
Lee Ramos
Harold Weitzberg
Tony Capitelli
Chris Bunyan
Al Melone

AUGUST 8TH IS DROP DEAD DATE
The final date to complete the filing process is Friday, August 8, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.  I have no idea whether the CM4RG endorsements last night will affect the decisions of any other candidates in this race.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous lovemygarden said...

Congratulations to Jay and Katrina! I like Harold and think he is smart, personable and an eloquent speaker, but I understand the reasons for endorsing the others. I have only one goal, and that is to get two people other than Jim Righeimer elected. Period. I will do all I can to support Jay and Katrina and hope others will too.

7/25/2014 12:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Atlas Shrunk said...

I answered one of the supposedly anonymous phone polls the other day. They tested a very negative view of Foley and a portrayal of Righeimer as a victim of union thuggery.

7/25/2014 03:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

It was a time consuming process and credit is due the CM4RG volunteers who sat through hours of interviews, and then to everyone who came to the Endorsement meeting, and participated in that rather lengthy process. I'll give all the CM4RG board members and myself a little credit too, because we worked night and day to make this a good , fair process. CM4RG made excellent choices, I am confident that Jay and Katrina can each win a seat and that they can hit the ground running, so to speak, because of their knowledge and experience of how a healthy, functional city government works.

7/25/2014 06:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

Love, I have to agree. Harold is a wonderful man that I respect and admire, an incredibly smart man, and further, he is a fast thinker with great instincts. He would have made a great addition to the council. But the numbers dictate our actions. So that takes primary interest.

7/25/2014 06:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Byron de Arakal said...

Katrina and Jay are both good people and they care about Costa Mesa. But I'm wondering what CM4RG would do now if Allan Roeder or Joe Erickson pulled papers.

7/25/2014 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Costa Mesa is in a state of war, under attack from the far-right radical Tea Party. The good and the innocent become casualties and collateral damage in every war. Foley and Humphrey will protect the city against Righeimer and his cohorts.

Kudos to Leece, Genis, Leffler, and West for battling destructive people and influences within their own party. Eric Cantor should come to the CMC and learn a few things..

7/25/2014 09:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Arthur Nern said...

@Joe:
Don't forget Propaganda Popp as one of those attacking Costa Mesa. Long ago someone told him he was smart and he believed them. I wrote more effectively than he does now when I was in 6th grade. What a disgrace the old vet has become- just a sad shill for a two bit dictator.

7/26/2014 06:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Bodiegirl198 said...

Riggy Rehab - Finally a rehab program that will work. I am in Riggy Rehab and working a program to make up for my past mistakes of voting for council/mayor candidates that are systematically ruining this city with unethical spending and misappropriation, big development, bullying, intimidation, and God only knows what else is yet to be uncovered. Life has definitely become unmanageable under the Righeimer Regime, so part of my rehab will be to work towards the election of city council candidates Foley and Humphrey and seek to restore the City of Costa Mesa to what it was prior. Join me in Riggy Rehab by voting No R’s. No Riggy, No Ramos,No Redevelopment ….you get the idea.” –

7/26/2014 08:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Heart for Costa Mesa said...

Hey, welcome bodiegirl 198.
It's going to be a NOvember to remember!

7/27/2014 06:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Muffin Top Bob said...

Dictator Riggy is outlawing any and all Riggy Rehab Programs in City. He says that they are bad for the City and his ultimate goal of total City destruction. Yes on Riggy Rehab, No on the 3 "R"s.

7/27/2014 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

I've walked a precinct for Linda Dixon several times and I've walked a precinct for Foley. My shoes are made for walkin'...College Park or Mesa del Mar neighbors, here I come!

7/27/2014 01:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home