Saturday, December 18, 2010

Larry Moore 7/30/1941 - 12/19/2003

ANOTHER SAD DAY FOR ME
As some of you loyal readers know, December 19th, 2003 was the day my best friend since we were five years old, Larry Moore, passed away after 6 long weeks in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit of the University Medical Center in Las Vegas following a motorcycle accident on a desolate desert road. I've written about that event and my friend several times, both here and on the pages of the Daily Pilot. If you care to read more about my friend you can just type his name in the search box at the top of this page. Or, you can read what I wrote two years ago, HERE, which is a pretty good summary of my friend's life and our time together.

CMPD OFFICERS REMIND ME OF MY FRIEND

Over the past several months I've gotten to know some very fine Costa Mesa police officers through their activism during the recent political campaign. My friend was a proud 31-year
member of the Los Angeles Police Department. He loved the job, the men and women with whom he worked and those he came in contact with as the Athletic Director for the Los Angeles Police Department. He created and conducted events around the world for public safety personnel, including the world-renowned Baker to Vegas Challenge Cup Relay. Many of our Costa Mesa officers have participated in that event and knew my friend. As I spent time with our local police officers I was reminded of just why my friend admired his peers in law enforcement.

DON'T WASTE A SINGLE DAY
Today, as I mark the seventh anniversary of my friends passing, I leave you with the admonition to not waste a single second you have with your friends and loved ones. Tell them how you feel, because you just never know what kind of a curve life is going to throw you - my friend sure didn't.


HERE'S GARTH FOR YOU

Some may know that Larry was a pretty darn good singer -
he cut a few records in our youth. One of his favorite singers in the recent past was Garth Brooks. Larry "covered" several of his songs, including The Dance, and gave them to friends on special occasions. Here's a Garth Brooks song that pretty much sums up our lives together. Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Rob Dimel said...

Geoff, very nice tribute to your friend. Well done.

12/20/2010 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home