Friday, June 14, 2013

Happy Father's Day, Guys...

 IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN!
Once again we'll all gather to smother our fathers with love this one day of the year... showering him with goofy gifts and gorging him with decadent BBQ... it's the perfect holiday, especially for those of you who are "first time fathers" this year.  Enjoy it.
I'VE TOLD IT MANY TIMES...
Most years since I've been publishing this blog I've written about this day and have told you stories of my father and friends who became de facto fathers to me.  I think I like the one I wrote in 2007 the best, HERE.  If you want to read the rest, just go to that search box in the upper left corner of this page and type in "Father's Day".. you'll get most of what I've written.

MY FATHER...
Those who have followed these pages know that my father, Robert J. West, was an uncomplicated, hard-working man.  I wrote about him in that linked item above.  He's been gone more than three decades and I miss his guidance every day.

MY MENTOR AND FRIEND...
This year Father's Day is especially tough for me because my dear neighbor, Wayne D. Stanfield, passed away a couple months ago.  He's shown here with his wonderful, loving wife, Barbara, who died three years ago.  I've written about him many times.  He has been my friend and mentor for nearly four decades.  And, as if his passing was not loss enough, today escrow closes on the home we saw from our kitchen window all those years, putting a final, painful exclamation point on the loss we feel.  It's our understanding that the buyers will lease it out for a few months while preparing plans for a new home on that beautiful, big lot, then scrape most of the existing structures and foliage down to dirt and start over with a home of their own design.  Such is life...

ENJOY THE DAY...
We here at A Bubbling Cauldron wish every one of you a very Happy Father's Day.  We hope you remember to tell your fathers just how you feel about him and the impact he's had on your lives.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I ran across your blog as I was researching Wayne and Barbara's son "Wayne-o"...their foto image put a smile on my face, your blog commemoration of your cherished neighbors put tears in my eyes. Wayne worked for many years alongside my father, G.W. Paulin (construction) as his plumbing contractor and friend. As kids we sailed with their kids, 4-wheeled, was elevated on the only hydraulic lift to a fully plumbed treehouse and spent the best Thanksgiving with our 2 families in a Death Valley miner's cabin. I feel your loss, these 2 people enriched my childhood along with the earth they have left. They are now gracing heaven with their laughter alongside my dad.
Lorie Jo Paulin-O'Donnell

8/28/2013 09:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home