Thursday, June 19, 2014

CMPD Issues Fireworks Safety Reminder

CMPD FIREWORKS SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT
Today Public Information Officer Lieutenant Greg Scott of the Costa Mesa Police Department issued a safety warning for the use of fireworks over the upcoming holiday.  The advice provided in the announcement - reproduced in its entirety below - has some excellent common-sense advice PLUS some rules of law that must be followed.

NOT A FAN... BUT
Long-time readers know I'm not a fan of so-called "safe and sane" fireworks in our city.  I believe we should have a community event with a big fireworks show with most displays/explosions visible from most of the City.  However, after fighting this battle for years, I'm giving up.  Nope, I'm afraid it's going to take a tragedy to swing folks toward my view on this one.

BE SMART, BE SAFE, FOLLOW THE RULES
So, please follow the guidelines listed below, have fun and BE SAFE.  In our experience, it's usually not the kids that are the problems with fireworks - it's thoughtless, sometimes half-drunk, adults.

AND REMEMBER...
Enjoy the holiday and, sometime on Friday, July 4th, try to remember what you're celebrating.







(Click on the image below for easier reading, or view it on the web HERE.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

I agree with you Geoff. Mensinger will never let that happen. We had a 3 month fireworks session last year and I'm hoping this year people can be arrested. I'm sick of this crap.

6/19/2014 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger kwahlf said...

I'm sick of it too, WMC.
I just now heard two bottle rockets being shot from a block away.
With the extra days for sales and discharge we are haven for yahoos with illegal fireworks. They set them off under the guise of the safe and sane variety.
The animals in our city are nervous wrecks after the 4th, as are most of us.

6/19/2014 08:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Eleanor Egan said...

I've been hearing fireworks off and on for the past two weeks. The illegal kind, no doubt, like the one that hit my daughter last July 4th as she sat on the porch steps in front of my house.

6/19/2014 09:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

I really think the residents and the police need to put their foot down. Eleanor, that is simply unacceptable. I hope she wasn't hurt. I'm sick and tired of Mensinger running rough shod on everyone in town because he wants the money from the fireworks sale.

Our safety is worth more than whatever they make.

6/20/2014 07:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home