Saturday, February 01, 2014

An Interesting Year - Thank You

A YEAR AGO...
A year ago I posted an entry, HERE, at the end of which I told you that this blog, on this platform, finally clicked over 1,000,000 page views.  Until that time I really had not thought too much about those kind of numbers.

TAKING AN OCCASIONAL LOOK
Oh, yes - from time to time I'd look at the analytics provided by Google to see where readers were coming from, what platforms they used to access the blog, how long they stayed around on each visit, etc. -  but only out of curiosity.  My goal is not to rack up hits on the blog so folks will advertise here - we do not do advertising.  This effort is for fun, not profit, and if we provide information and opinions that readers find entertaining and/or helpful, that's a bonus.  My goal has always been to entice more folks to get involved in municipal affairs.  I've accomplished that goal.. and more.

SNEAKING A PEEK
However, having noticed those numbers last year, I began peeking at them every once in awhile.  This morning I thought I'd share with you what another year has brought.

WINDOWS IN TIME
Shown below is a graphic that reflects two windows frozen in time.  The top part is last year's number - the end of January, 2013.  The bottom numbers are through the end of January, 2014.

FIRST 75 MONTHS...
In the first 75 months of publication of this blog on this platform - beginning in November, 2006 - through January, 2013 I published 1748 posts (a little over 23 per month) and hit 1,000,970 page views (13,345 per month).

...LAST TWELVE
In the next twelve months I published 417 entries (34.75 per month) and recorded 554,134 page views (46,178 per month).  We've all been very busy...

WHEW!
Now I know why I've been feeling thrashed!  I have no idea how many hours have been involved in this effort.  My sweet and very patient wife would tell you "too many!"

CAN'T COMPARE TO OTHERS
These numbers mean nothing when trying to compare my blog to others.  I only published them to let you know what's been happening here, not elsewhere.  These numbers are small time when compared to blogs with a broader reach, even when compared to some other Orange County blogs.  Still, the trends are interesting...

I'M GRATEFUL...
Thanks to all of you who stop in from time to time to read what I've written.  I appreciate your comments, including the criticisms.  I'd prefer more opposing viewpoints would take the time to write, but that's not going to happen much since I require registration with me before I'll publish your comments.  Such is life...

HERE WE GO...
Onward and upward.  I have no idea what the next year will bring, but since this is an election year, I suspect we'll be cranking up the gain even more this year.  Fasten your seat belts...


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

THANK YOU!!!!
Probably foolish not to thank Susie too, so THANK YOU SUSIE too!!!

Blogging at 2:11 AM. That says a lot about you right there, dear Pot Stirrer.

I too wish there would be a diversity of viewpoints, and that more people would use their own names. I also understand why many with value to add prefer or need anonymity, not just those who want to take snarky pot- shots. And I don't begrudge anyone who wants to play that way.

I hope a few will read this comment and register. It’s no big deal; Geoff will honor confidentiality and not breath a word to out those who wish to stay anonymous.

2/01/2014 04:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Casual Viewer said...

Your posts are very informative and deserve as wide an audience as possible. We appreciate the time you take to keep citizens informed. I wish you would run for city council, but then who would write this blog?

2/01/2014 07:37:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lou Who said...

Ditto to the first two comments Geoff. Kudos and thank you for keeping me informed about my City no matter where I happen to be when news hits. And of course a big thank you to your beautiful and patient wife Susie! Keep up the great work.

2/02/2014 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home