Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bob Knapp Out As Costa Mesa Recreation Manager

 "RESIGNS" AFTER 18 MONTHS
After hearing rumblings all morning about the future of Bob Knapp, Recreation Manager for the City of Costa Mesa for the past 18 months, this afternoon the City posted on it's web site a terse, three paragraph announcement that he had, in fact, resigned.  You can read that HERE.

WHAT I SAID EARLIER
I wrote about Knapp's appointment in July of 2012, HERE, and expressed concern that his background contained no recreation management experience, much less municipal recreation management.  I've met him several times and he's a heck of a guy - I'd love to have him as a neighbor.

LET THE SPECULATING BEGIN...
I don't know what led up to this "resignation", but I hope it is not related to the 60th Anniversary mess that we're supposed to hear about - maybe today.

INTERESTING TABLE TALK
Since Bob is the son-in-law of Gordon Bowley - who runs Costa Mesa United - and Steve Mensinger is deeply-immersed in that organization, I wonder what family dinners will be like in those families.

GOOD LUCK...
I wish Bob Knapp well and thank him for his service to the city in his job and the broader community in his volunteer recreation activities.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Byron de Arakal said...

Bob's departure is Costa Mesa's loss and a sad day for parks and recreation in our city. I'm saddened and will miss working with him.

1/30/2014 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Marquis said...

Bob is a good guy and took the job because he sincerely felt he could help. But he had zero experience in recreation management or government work, so his appointment was bound to be suspect on some level. He cast his lot with Riggy and Mensinger, though, and I'm not too sympathetic to anybody who does that.

Bob is a very thoughtful, professional, and ethical guy. I would be surprised if his resignation had anything to do with the 60th mess. I'm hoping it was about him waking up one day and deciding not to work for idiots.

1/31/2014 08:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home