Officials Suing Employees Unprecedented?
I asked myself that same question when the news broke about Mayor Jim Righeimer and his wife, plus his running buddy, Mayor Pro Tem Steve Mensinger decided to sue employees of the city - the Costa Mesa Police Officers Association (CMPOA) because they feared being set up by the police.
SO, I DID A SEARCH
So, I did a quick little to see if any other sitting elected officials had ever sued their employees. Here's what I found...
A sitting Indianapolis council member sued his city for an arrest, HERE.
The mayor of Yuma sued the city council and city staff, HERE.
A Moreno Valley council member sued members of the city staff, HERE.
SO FAR, IT STANDS ALONE...
If you find more, let me know. As far as I can tell, what our two top (I have a VERY hard time referring to them that way) elected officials have done - using such a broad brush by suing such a large group - has no precedent that I can find. Let me know if you find more.
DESTROYING OUR "BRAND"?
REGISTRATION REQUIRED TO COMMENT
To register email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Pen name (do NOT use "Anonymous")
- Full name
- Valid email address and telephone number
- Only 1 pen name per person
- You may use 1 pen name AND your proper name
- Don't use another person's proper name
- Comments without prior registration will be REJECTED - NO EXCEPTIONS
- More details at http://bit.ly/16kGDVh