Saturday, May 04, 2013

McEvoy's Recall Effort Fails

RIGHEIMER RECALL GOES DOWN IN FLAMES
As reported by Bradley Zint in the Daily Pilot last night, HERE, the recall effort to unseat Mayor Jim Righeimer launched by former City Council candidate Chris McEvoy has failed.

TOO MANY NUMBERS NEEDED
McEvoy needed to collect more than 9,000 valid signatures by May 15th to force an election on this issue.  In actuality, that means he needed somewhere north of 11,000 total signatures to be sure he had enough qualified signatures to qualify.

NO SURPRISE
I'm not surprised this effort failed.  McEvoy, long on enthusiasm, but short on funds and organization, ran the barest of bare bones efforts - just as he did when he ran for city council.  The reason he gave for launching this campaign against Righeimer - his vote on the Banning Ranch Transportation agreement - was weak.  There is NO agreement between The City and principals of the Banning Ranch development.

BANNING RANCH STILL A PROBLEM
We don't disagree with McEvoy's concern about the proposed Banning Ranch development - it will create a tremendous traffic impact on the Westside of Costa Mesa.  That battle is far from over.  We hope McEvoy will continue to be engaged in issues in our city and speak out when he feels it appropriate.


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Arthur T. Nern said...

McEvoy had the right idea, he just showed, once again, that he had no clue about how to implement. If he had run a real campaign in 2010, Costa Mesa might have been spared the scourge of Righeimer and all the bad things that have flowed from his time on Council. It's sad that an educated person like McEvoy takes an 8th grade approach to politics. There are political idiots like Fitzy and Mensy accomplishing more for their cause.

5/04/2013 08:03:00 AM  
Anonymous yuck yuck said...

banning ranch is not a costa mesa development. mcevoy needs to go to NB and complain or recall. although there is no deal, naghavi got better impact fees than if the project WAS in CM. and mcevoy starts this? i remember his gallantry and threats at the podium when he started this and laughed then, knowing this was the end result. not enough frogs in cm. and i am against banning ranch actually but mcevoy was so far off target i had to laugh.

5/04/2013 08:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Learning Curve said...

OC Register reports that Mesa Water will cut back its lunatic "branding campaign." Sounds like Fisler saw the light and doesn't want a boycott against him.

5/04/2013 10:57:00 AM  
Anonymous MV said...

Yep, Banning Ranch is not a Costa Mesa development, Yuck. But the traffic will be all ours, without the financial rewards. Good on you.

5/04/2013 02:53:00 PM  
Anonymous special k said...

good for Fisler, I liked the quote he gave even though the real truth is that the branding was already ended. Main point is that the Register now calls it 280K over 5 years , not the 500K in one year as they originally stated. perhaps a correction for a quote?
Now, if we can get San District to bid out trash.........right sk?

5/04/2013 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home