Thursday, February 28, 2013

Meeting The Mayor - I Tried!

CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR
Well, you can't say I didn't give it the old college try.  Tonight, beginning just a few minutes ago at 6:00 p.m. Costa Mesa Mayor Jim Righeimer held his inaugural "Meet the Mayor" event at the Pitfire Artisan Pizza store on 17th Street - about a mile from my home.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS
I arrived just before 6 and found every parking spot occupied!  On the way in I noticed several of the "usual suspects" - folks who spend a lot of their time snuggled-up to Righeimer and his buddy, Steve Mensinger - entering the store.  In the parking lot, as I circled looking for a slot, I thought I saw Mensinger's vehicle, too.

TINY VENUE, LOTS OF PEOPLE
Since I know the venue - a small room at the back of the restaurant which you reach by walking past the kitchen - it seemed futile to attempt to find a parking spot across the street somewhere and take my life in my hands crossing 17th Street to reach what would most likely turn out to be a strained situation.  So, I left.

HOPING FOR A REPORT
I assume - nasty word, that one - that this event will be viewed as a success.  I just hope that some of the Costa Mesa residents who don't normally interact with Righeimer were able to find a parking spot so they can ask questions and get answers.  Perhaps some enterprising reporter will show up and provide us with a view of the event.  For those of you just getting home from work, there's still time for you to attend - the event is scheduled to run until 7:30.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous No Scoop here. said...

Geoff, an enterprising young reporter. You make me laugh. Young or old the Pilot is void in that area.

2/28/2013 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Well, word from the site is that pizza was served - wonder who paid for it? From multiple reports, the crowd was mostly well-wishers and it provided a forum for Righeimer to further amplify his positions. That's second-hand, but from reliable sources. If the room was filled with mostly pals - like a campaign rally (?) - that seems to be a missed opportunity to reach out to those who don't live and breathe his every word. But, then, that was probably not his reason for the gathering. We'll see where he ends up on MARCH 28th... We hope it's still within the city and not elsewhere in the 2nd Supervisorial District.

2/28/2013 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

I asked about the charter. The Mayor would like another charter on the June 2014 ballot - a primary election. He wants a group of citizens to apply to a committee, including those who "don't agree with him." Details were thin.

I suspect Wendy and Sandy will have something to say about setting the rules for applicants, what appointees can and cannot do, and so on. Don't be shocked if this is going to be a rerun of the Planning Commission.

The pizza was above average.

3/01/2013 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thanks, Mike - a third voice from the crowd.

I'm not against these kind of meetings as a concept. It seems like a good idea. Joe Erickson use to have brown bag lunches with residents when he was mayor.

3/01/2013 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger kwahlf said...

Geoff, thank you for trying- your efforts are very appreciated. I'm sorry there wasn't sufficient parking.

Hopefully Righeimer will choose a larger venue to have his next 'Meeting the Mayor' gathering. That way more residents can participate. The mayor does want to meet a larger cross section of residents, doesn't he? That shouldbe the main point of having this meeting.

btw, Joe Erickson was a great mayor. I remember him well.

3/01/2013 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger Bruce Krochman said...

Geoff,

Janet and I were at that restaurant for the Chamber of Commerce and Lions Club mixer Tuesday. You are right, parking seems pretty minimal. We got lucky and someone was pulling out just as we pulled in.

I didn't make this meeting either. I do hope that those that have alternative opinions or just questions about what Righeimer's goals are will feel comfortable attending these events. They provide a forum without the severity of staring up at the council members and trying to get your thoughts coherently conveyed in three minutes or less.

3/01/2013 11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous sk said...

Joe Erickson was a great mayor. He was leadership quality

3/02/2013 06:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Arthur T. Nern said...

Joe Nation presents only one point of view/set of conclusions regarding pensions. Generally, in a democracy, multiple points of view are considered, then decisions are made.

In the ocgop/Napoleon Righeimer world, the party line is presented and you must obey. Hail Napoleon! Please give us peasants a slice of pizza from your banquet table, if there's any left.

3/02/2013 07:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Ron K. said...

The so-called pension expert Nation might be right, but we just don't trust Righeimer and Mensinger.

3/02/2013 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Nothing's Shocking said...

That picture reminds me of a joke my old buddy used to say: what has two thumbs and loves (euphemism) .... this guy!

3/03/2013 07:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Riggy for SOUP-ervisor said...

Nothing's Shocking said...
"That picture reminds me of a joke my old buddy used to say: what has two thumbs and loves (euphemism) .... this guy!"

The actual caption was, "What has 4thumbs and ate all the pizza?"

3/04/2013 06:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Nothing's Shocking said...

Since they are only holding up two and I didn't want Geoff to delete my comment, I had to leave the punchline out... and we're not talking about eating pizza!

3/04/2013 09:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home