Thursday, June 17, 2010

Father's Day - 2010

A SAD DAY FOR ME
This weekend we all will celebrate another Father's Day, which always makes me sad. My own father, Robert J. West, died more than 30 years ago at age 64 - much too early - following a very brief bout with pancreatic cancer. I've written about him in the past - you can read one remembrance HERE.

MIXED WITH JOY
At the same time I'll be filled with joy for my friends who celebrate this day being pampered by their children. Today I wish each of you fathers out there a very, very happy day on Sunday. I'll be thinking about you, and the terrific job you're doing with your kids.

BYRON'S BOYS
I'll think about my friend, Byron de Arakal, beaming with pride, as his two sons graduated from college this spring a couple weeks apart.



AND MIKE'S, TOO

I'll think of my pal, "Mr. Fish Fry" Mike Scheafer, who will attend the weddings of two sons this year, gaining daughters in the deal.




AND TONY'S CREW

I'll think of my friend, Tony Dodero, who talks the talk and walks the walk as a terrific father of three beautiful children and author of a column, Go Ask Your Dad, in the OC Family magazine. You can read the June issue HERE.




ROB'S PRECIOUS DAY

I'll think of my nephew, Rob (named for my father), proud father of three great children and the mixed blessing he has this year. His youngest son, Nate, who just graduated from high school, will enlist in the Army in September, with a tour in Afghanistan assured sometime early next year. This Father's Day will be very precious for Rob.

DAVE'S SPECIAL DAY
I'll think of my cousin David, who will give his daughter, Miriah, in marriage to Travis under the oaks on her grandmother's ranch on Saturday this weekend. His son, Christian, will perform the service, so this will be a very, very special Father's Day for Dave.

WAYNE, FATHER TO US ALL
I can go on and on and still not mention everyone who will cross my mind this weekend but I cannot close without a mention of my dear friend and neighbor, Wayne Stanfield. He's been a surrogate "father" for me for more than three decades. Wayne's wife, Barbara, passed away a couple weeks ago and her services were attended by four generations of their family. Those events drove home to me, even more clearly than ever, the great value of family and just how revered my friend, Wayne, is in his family and extended family. He sets the benchmark for us all.

Happy Father's Day to you, my friends.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, Geoff. God knows I miss my dad. It's been a little over two years since he passed. The blessing is...the last 17 years of his life he spent with me. It was an honor and a lot of fun having him here and getting to know him better in my adulthood. I miss my companion - we did a lot together and I hope I brought joy into his final years. Linda

6/17/2010 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

You have a life rich with wonderful friends and family. Something your Dad would have loved to see.

6/17/2010 07:59:00 PM  
Blogger Charligurl1 said...

A lovely tribute to all of them Geoff. I miss my Dad tremendously but hoping he can come over for Christmas.
Your Dad would be very proud of this piece of writing Geoff. excellent.

6/18/2010 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Coach Sheryl said...

Great post, Geoff. My Dad's been gone 5 years but because he had Alzheimers, it been more like 15. I cherish the many memories of good times and value the lessons I learned just watching how he lived life.

6/19/2010 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Geoff. Written like only you can do so eloquently. Your words were especially touching this first Father's Day I've spent without my Dad. I miss him a lot. Sherry

6/20/2010 07:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Chris Bunyan said...

Geoff, your Dad did an outstanding job raising you and he would be so proud for your work in the community. My Dad passed away when I was 15 and I think about him everyday.

6/20/2010 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Linda, Stan was a terrific guy and I know you really miss him.

Claudia, you're very lucky to have your father around to continue to give you love and support.. he's a great guy.

Cherry, I'm sure your father misses you, kiddo.

Sheryl, we've gone through that with Susie's father.. very painful.

Sherry, your father was a unique, very special guy. I'll never forget him.

Chris, you're too kind. Sorry you lost your father so early. He'd be proud of you today...

6/20/2010 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

Your words brought memories and tears...My Papa died in 1980, at age 63, after a short battle with multiple myeloma. We loved each other so much. But, you know, Papa watches over me, I know that. He still guides me. And, I thank him on a regular basis for his continuing presence.

6/21/2010 10:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home