Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Sad, Special Father's Day

CONTEMPLATING TIM RUSSERT
With the unt
imely passing of NBC commentator Tim Russert last Friday - just two days before Father's Day - I've contemplated just what Father's Day means to me. Russert wrote and spoke frequently about the bond between him and his father, Big Russ, and with his own son, Luke. His honesty and passion came through loud and clear and have been repeated frequently over the past 48 hours as he was remembered by his friends and family.


MY ARC
HIVED THOUGHTS
I contemplated writi
ng about my father again, then re-read what I posted here last Father's Day and decided that I can't do better than that. So, I invite those of you interested to slide over to the Archives section on the right side of this page, scroll down to June, 2007 and work your way to the entry I wrote on June 14, 2007.

RUSSER
T SET THE BAR HIGH
The outpouring of love and respect for Tim Russert since his passin
g - a man who has written two best-selling books about his relationship with his father and with whom I shared most Sunday mornings - made me realize how lucky I've been in my life to have had my own father as a role model. I think of my father every single day. As I said a year ago, part of his place in my life has been filled by my neighbor, Wayne Stanfield, who - as he approaches 80 years of age - continues to set the example of a life well-led.

DON'T WAIT!
Today tell your father what he means to you. Don't let another day pass without re-affirming that bond.

Happy Father's Day to you all.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger CMTRUTH said...

Geoff i honestly believe you made your dad proud, you seem to be a stand up guy & that means your father was as well. =)

6/17/2008 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

CMTRUTH, thanks for the kind words. If you read the entry from a year ago you know my father was a simple guy. He was very upset when people would not be honest with him. Of course, in his later years when he had time to pay attention, politics drove him nuts. I understand his view... :-)

By the way, did you catch the act by Your Neighbor tonight before the City Council? He was in his usual form. We found out tonight that he professes to being a Marine Tank Commander - the image of Michael Dukakis in the tank comes to mind. :-) He also did a mini-rant on graffiti again, to which CMPD Captain Ron Smith did a good job of rebutting at Katrina Foley's request.

Thanks, again.

6/17/2008 10:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home