Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Will Someone Please Hand Me A Tissue?


Well, it's finally all over. In the wee hours of Wednesday morning, and with all the votes counted, Allan Mansoor has been re-elected to the Costa Mesa City Council and his running mate, Wendy Leece, has been hauled to victory on his coattails, too. Bruce Garlich finished third, Mike Scheafer fourth, with Mirna Burciaga and Chris Bunyan trailing the field. Assuming that each voter made two choices, fewer than 15,000 of the nearly 55,000 registered voters participated yesterday. Less than 8,000 voters made decisions yesterday that will affect the course of this city for the remainder of this decade.

If you want to read a more conciliatory view of the results, I suggest you slide on over to Itchingpost.com.

Am I happy with the results of the election? Of course not! When the voters in Costa Mesa succumbed to the lies and fabrications in this campaign and re-elected Allan Mansoor and elected Wendy Leece they demonstrated something about this city I didn't think was possible. They demonstrated that intolerance is alive and thriving in our city and that it is possible to play on that intolerance to win an election. With their votes they told me, in no uncertain terms, that the dark philosophy of certain activists here in this town are going to continue to form the underpinning of all City Council actions - at least for the next two years.

Gone to the Sanitary District Board is termed-out Councilman Gary Monahan, with whom I frequently disagreed, but who pulled our municipal bacon from the fire on more than one occasion. His occasional voice of moderation and conciliation has been replaced by a bobblehead doll with no voice of her own in the form of Wendy Leece, who will vote with Mansoor and Bever on every issue, never question their motives and never enhance the debate by providing an independent thought. We know this from watching her on the Parks and Recreation Commission and on the campaign trail. Heck, her web site never did display her "Issues" - she didn't have to, because she was simply an echo of Mansoor.

Katrina Foley and Linda Dixon might just as well stay home and watch council meetings on television from now on, because their voices will continue to be ignored by the new majority. And, with Monahan gone, there is no chance of providing any element of moderation or restraint to the governance of this city.

By casting aside the candidacies of Bruce Garlich and Mike Scheafer, the voters of this city have told me that, instead of having mature, reasonable voices and viewpoints on the council, they prefer to have our city led by the extreme forces of the radical right. The Minutemen are rejoicing today - they just bought themselves a city.

For more than three decades as a resident of Costa Mesa I have never been anything but proud to call it home. That changed last night. I'm disappointed almost beyond words in the electorate that has given a mandate to the narrow-minded and intolerant among us to do what they choose in this city.

I saw this coming and I've tried to warn you. For more than five years I've written commentary after commentary, telling you this was happening. I've chronicled the actions and influence of one activist in particular that has provided direction for the forces of intolerance at work in our city. The voters were apparently swayed by the fear of illegal immigrants among us and bought into Mansoor's mantra - even though it was repudiated by his boss and every law enforcement leader in the county.

The new majority promises to be even less trustworthy than the previous ruling troika, so don't blink. It won't take long before they show their true colors. It won't take long before they begin to run roughshod over the rights of residents and business owners in this city. November 7, 2006 will be a benchmark date in the history of this city. It is the date that intolerance became an acceptable standard of behavior. It's a sad day, indeed.

The apartment owners in this city should be ready for a full-on assault. Forces in this city want to bulldoze their property, which it will likely acquire via eminent domain, and turn them into parks and owner-occupied homes. That's the only way they can achieve their goal of expunging all the Latinos from our midst.

If your skin is brown and your heritage is from south of the border, illegal or not, you'd better find another place to live. Before too long all the forces of our city government will be aimed directly at you, to make your life a living hell until you leave.

If you operate one of the charities on the Westside, watch your back. These guys will be after you and will use all the tools available to them to force you out. Expect to see eminent domain rear it's ugly head again, despite Mansoor and Leece stating they are against it. It wouldn't be the only lie they told during the campaign.

Watch for another assault on the Orange Coast College Swap Meet, a venue for low end commerce and social interaction for the Latino community.

Don't expect to see any more soccer fields, either. This new majority will likely find a different solution to the growing demand for soccer fields. They will find a way to reduce that need by chasing the Latinos from our city, thereby reducing the demand for fields.

Watch as this new majority jumps when one particular activist in town snaps his fingers. If you thought he exercised influence before, just wait until he gets rolling with this mob. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to get the new "view homes" on the Westside bluffs named "Little Bavaria".

Finally, it is with great sadness in my heart that I turn to my friends, Mike Scheafer and Bruce Garlich, and thank them for a valiant effort. While Mansoor and Leece chose the low road, distorting their views and resorting to flat-out lies in their literature, Garlich and Scheafer stayed on the high road. While Mansoor and Leece pandered to the radical right, Garlich and Scheafer maintained a steady, honest course. They may have lost this election, but the residents of Costa Mesa are the real losers. They lost the chance to place these two fine men, both of whom have demonstrated their concern for this city through decades of public service, on the city council. They lost the chance to have their maturity and leadership help chart the future of Costa Mesa.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you will continue your psychoanalysis of your theoretical character, Your Neighbor. I would be particularly interested in how he could support the “tan everyman” for mayor.

11/08/2006 07:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable...can't believe that it wasn't even really close. When I saw the first results (absentee), I knew it wasn't looking good. I guess we mis-read our city's residents, and it saddens me to see what happens now.

11/08/2006 07:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, not sure there is enough tissue, will toilet paper do?

11/08/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Geoff, for all your honest commentary. The Mansoor & Leece voters of Costa Mesa will get what they deserve in the next couple of years. Costa Mesa is headed down the toilet, as it has been for the last 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if the civil rights groups start marching in next week. I guess it is good they have their buddy Monahan in the Sanitary district to clean up the crap they leave behind!

11/08/2006 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your disdain for the voting population of our city. I woke up this morning thinking about where a better place to live might be. I think we should start investigating the initiative process in Costa Mesa. Maybe we can write some public backed laws that at least restrain our goose stepping trio.

11/08/2006 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those who are uncomfortable living in Costa Mesa you might find Maywood to your liking. This is a self declared sanctuary city where you won't find their police force burdened with enforcing the law. Geoff, it sounds like you and your fellow lamenters might need more than one tissue. Maybe we can get the Mansoor/Leece team to send over a whole box or two.

11/08/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No witty, they would just send over a box of rocks labeled "tissues". Actually sending the tissues would include telling the truth that they are tissues... that may be too much to comprehend for them. And you get it wrong, we want the police to enforce the law not to do someone else's job.

11/08/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest that you, and your supporters, pack it up and move to Mexico. That country might consider you an asset. As it is, you are an embarrassment to this community, and to your family. Your abrasiveness, and your insults to highly respected community leaders, would not be missed, I can assure you. Whining is not encouraged either.

11/08/2006 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

I was born and lived for years in Germany, the birthplace of goose-steppin' brownshirts who didn't do onto others as they would have done unto them, and who didn't love their neighbors as themselves. The average German was a card-carrying member of the truly Silent Majority.

Let's not fall into that trap. We need to attend council meetings, to keep writing in the local papers, to write letters to our council members, to make our voices heard and to get organized for the next municipal elections!

Leece and Mansoor were elected by a minority, not a majority, of votes cast. Let reason prevail in these next two years to effect a change in the make-up of our city council.

11/08/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I thought you packed up and were moving out acording to a recent post I read here or on DeArakal's Blog. I hope you are not changing your mind. Or are you a different Anonymous? If you intend to stick around, can I suggest you pick a more specifric name so I don't mix you up with all the other persons using this generic name? Just a thought.
And are you the same Anonymous that suggested I move to Mexico? Or was your comment intended for Geoff? I'll have you know that I don't have an supporters oher than the family members that love me and I'm not currently running for any elected position. I do admit to being one of the supporters (sometimes refered to as puppets or cadre by some)of our Mayor. I honestly don't intend to be an embarrasement or even abrasive, only to express my ideas and to read that of others.

11/08/2006 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Well, now, children. Wasn't that fun?! See how nicely you can play together when I leave you alone in the sandbox.

When I decided to switch blog hosts to Blogger I did so, in part, because I knew the "comment" feature was available. Although I screen every submission, I've permitted every single one to be posted without modification. That only works as long as we all "keep it clean". I'll post an opposing viewpoint every time unless it gets nasty. You do your part and I'll do mine.. and your opinion will appear here.

Thanks to all of you for today's blitz of comments. Of course, when I posted The Gorilla I expected a few. I chose that image from my library of personal photos because, last night, it was like looking in a mirror. I took that photo at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, where you can visit old grumpy any time.

Down to business... to those of you who wrote in support of my position, thanks. It's always nice to know there are sympathetic souls out there. Those of you who responded to others in my defense, thanks for that, too.

Witty/2, you're probably right... I do need more than one tissue, and expect to bolster the Kleenex stock over the next couple years. I do appreciate your concern. Thanks, also for your suggestion about Maywood. Gee, I guess I'll have to investigate that option.

Anon. at 3:24, sorry, no can do. No hablo Espanol, at least, not enough to get by down below the border. I do appreciate your suggestion, though. Since the Dems have assumed power now, I suspect that old border will continue to be a revolving door, so travel back and forth should be easy. Your view about me being "an embarrassment to this community, and to your family" rings a little hollow. Most of my acquaintances here in town, even those who don't always agree with me, seem to think I'm a pretty nice fella. I polled my family, just in case you knew something I didn't, and they still like me, too. The word embarrassment never came up.

Now, "abrasiveness and your insults to highly respected community leaders" is a different story. Yes, I admit to the occasional abrasive comment, but only when it's deserved - hardly ever gratuitously. As far as me insulting highly respected community leaders, I guess that kind of depends on your opinion of those leaders. I don't recall insulting any community leader that I highly respected, certainly not intentionally. However, those "leaders" that I feel are boneheads, like Chris Steel, for example, are fair game as far as I'm concerned. When I disagree with something one of these "leaders" does, I'm going to comment on it. That's how this works. If you don't like it, simply don't read it. If you disagree with a characterization I might make, feel free to write to me, either as a "comment" or as an email. You'll find that address on my profile.

You know, it's getting pretty darn confusing with all these "Anonymous" postings. I respect anonymity and all that, but why don't you folks just pick a nom de plume and use it to avoid confusing this old, addled brain? Witty/2, for example, has had some trouble with that, but I guess we've got that "where's the H thing sorted out, right? I know that it's just easier to hit that button and begin typing and I'll keep posting them. However, from a context standpoint, it sure would make it easier to follow the "conversations".

Thanks, again, to you all for the "active" participation. Keep them coming.

11/08/2006 07:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, Goeff I thought anonymous was calling me out and you took the heat. I know that it wasn't clear, but it was good of you to answer him. This Anonymous business is confusing as you can't know if you are talking to friend or foe. Your answer fits for both of us. In Mexico, we as Americans are not allowed to own land and they are not so understanding of illegals in their country. In America you get benefits as an illegal alien, in Mexico you go to jail. Count me out when it comes to moving to Mexico.

11/08/2006 08:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit whining, the Democrats took over the House AND the Senate!!

P.S. In case you missed it, Ronald Dumsfeld resigned.

Cheers!
:)

11/08/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Nancy Pelosi- this makes her the first woman Speaker of the House in the history of the United States.

Ahhh...life is good!

11/09/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there. I didn't say anything yesterday because of the bad news we received from the polling places. I'm still stunned. I suspect that our local government will turn Costa Mesa into a more infamous city; that's the least we can expect. Unfortunately there is little, if any, we can do against now three ideologically minded individuals in the City Council. I assume they will proceed with the Immigration Plan and other anti-Latino policies. Mass movilization won't change their dogamatic minds; speaking out at the Council Meetings wont' do the trick; getting angry won't do it either. I wonder what we have available to stop Costa Mesa from collapsing. I few friends of mine are beginning to pack and leave. I might just follow their course. What do you think?

11/09/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Updated: Allen to concede in Va. Senate race
10:05 a.m. PT

Gather round boys and girls--
A count by The Associated Press showed Webb with 1,172,538 votes and Allen with 1,165,302, a difference of 7,236.
It's official, the Democrats are back!
Time to celebrate!!

11/09/2006 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Anon,
Find another venue for your liberal rants and gloating. The specter of increased taxes and rampant spending is nothing to cheer. There are plenty of places for you to post your gutless anonymous bilge, so you won't be seeing it here again.

11/09/2006 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to keep you on top of current events ;)

Cheers! (again)

11/09/2006 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home