Thursday, February 27, 2014

There's Good News Tonight!

WHAT?, YOU ASK...
OK, so most of you have no clue who Gabriel Heatter was - he's the radio newsman who was a dominant figure when I was growing up.  That title line was his signature line on his radio program and is seems VERY appropriate today.


BABS IS BACK!
The big news is that Barbara Venezia is bringing her special skills back to the Daily Pilot!  She is leaving the Orange County Register and returning "home" to provide a dose of wit, lots of tenacity and her own special style in a political column that will appear every Friday.  HERE is her announcement.

FEARLESS AND FUN
This is wonderful news for those of us who admire her ability to dig into issues, poke the powerful and present the story with a smile.  I suspect there may be more than a few local politicians in our neck of the woods shuddering at the thought of that next telephone call from Barbara.  I envision soiled trousers throughout the Newport Mesa.  It makes me smile.

STILL AT THE REGISTER...
And, for you Register fans, Barbara will still be writing her lifestyle column for that fine newspaper on Saturdays, so don't despair...

WELCOME HOME...
So, welcome home, Barbara.  Kudos to Editor John Canalis for finding a place for her at the Daily Pilot.  We're looking forward to Fridays even more....

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Eleanor Egan said...

By golly, I do remember Gabriel Heatter. I was really little, and all I remember is his upbeat voice. My favorite radio voice was Prescott Robinson's. I was in love with him from age 4 to 5 or so.

Barbara Venezia is good news! I'll be looking forward to her column in the DP. She's fearless.

2/27/2014 02:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Terry Koken said...

Yee-HAW! The BEST of news! Give 'em hell, Barbara. Hold those feet to the fire for us. If you need any pointers, just call me.

Yours,
Terry Koken

2/27/2014 04:18:00 PM  
Anonymous JanetF said...

This IS good news (and we need some good news around here!). And I remember Home on the Range (had no idea it was BV, tho!).

This could be really fun ...

2/27/2014 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

I thought you'd be more of an H.V. Kaltenborn man, Geoff...

2/28/2014 08:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home