Thursday, November 28, 2013

It's Thanksgiving Again...

TIME TO BE THANKFUL AGAIN
Once again it's time for us to rock back, take it easy, surround ourselves with those we love and consider the things for which we are thankful - unless you're a turkey, that is.  In that case, well - you know...

MY WIFE...
And, as always, right at the top of things for which I am thankful is my lovely and patient wife of more than 46 years.  I know - some of you are sitting there reading this and thinking, "How does she do it?!"  Me, too.  I don't know, but she does and is the best thing that has EVER happened to me.

...AND OUR FAMILIES
We are both thankful for our loving and supportive families, too.  They make our days bright and full of encouragement.

WEDDING TRAVELS...
I'm thankful for a couple wonderful events in our lives this year - two weddings of young folks close to us.  Our nephew, Doug, married the amazing Kayle in Omaha the end of September and our journey to the wedding and back resulted in us being caught in a record snow storm that killed over 100,000 head of cattle and sheared off over 1,000 power poles.  We survived, and we're thankful for that.

...AND MORE WEDDING TRAVELS
The second wedding was more recently, when we traveled 300 miles to attend the wedding of a young man, Gavin - who grew up fifteen feet from our house - to the lovely Alicia.  Somehow that doesn't seem right, does it? ;-)  It's really no big deal when you consider that his paternal grandmother, uncle and aunt traveled from England and his maternal grandparents and aunt traveled from Washington. Both the bride and groom attended Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, hence the remote wedding.

FULL OF PROMISE
Both of the weddings were fun and full of promise.  Watching those two happy couples take their vows and then celebrate their unions was uplifting, inspirational and a lot of fun.  All is well with the world with great young people like that poised to keep my Social Security checks coming.

THE NEWS MEDIA
I'm thankful again this year for the folks who provide us with the news we need - the hardworking reporters, editors and other staffers on both the Daily Pilot - our newspaper of record for more than 100 years - and the resurgent Orange County Register.  Without them and the excellent work they do you'd be left to get your "news" from crotchety old geezers like me and a couple other old fellas here in town, and THAT certainly cannot be right!

THE ACTIVISTS
I'm thankful for the friends, old and new, I've made among those folks on both sides of the political aisle who care enough about our city to be active in identifying problems and finding solutions, even in the face of arbitrary and  vindictive opposition by some currently in power.  The hours they sacrifice away from their families to attend meetings, volunteer at events, participate on committees,  assess issues and present potential solutions is awe-inspiring.  

FINALLY, THE CITY EMPLOYEES
Finally, I'm VERY thankful to those talented, professional and loyal employees of the City of Costa Mesa for their dedication to our city and the residents and visitors to it, who have continued to provide the best service to us that is possible under the most trying of circumstances.  When I think back on what the past nearly three years have been like for them - with a council majority apparently intent on forcing every single one of them out by creating nearly unworkable situations - I sadly shake my head in disbelief.  They've endured the departure of friends; have been treated as the enemy by those in power; some have been sued by their elected leaders and all have been forced to persevere in a toxic work environment.  As this year rolls to the end there will likely be opportunities for us to interact with many of them.  I, for one, am going to do my best to let them know just how thankful I am for their continued diligence despite all the travails they face every day.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL
I hope all of you enjoy your holiday.  For the first time in a long, long time we will celebrate it at home and we're going to make the most of it.  Turkey, football, family and friends... here we come!




Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Terry Koken said...

Hey, Geoff --
I've got the same dilemma with my wife, Debby, that you do with yours: What does a babe like her see in a decrepit old phart like me? Guess I'll never understand; I'm sure it's not parallel parking -- but I'll also never cease to be thankful for her inexplicable attraction to me.

Maybe we should also be thankful for our opponents on the City Council: their stupidity, paranoia, and dogmatic adherence to foolish actions have brought to us an awareness of just how fragile our "comfort zone" can be in this, the (former) finest city in southern California.

11/28/2013 03:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

Geoff - you're on my list...

I am so thankful for your no BS blog. You call 'em like you see 'em and don't mince words. I have laughed out loud at some of the illustrations you pick, thank you for sharing your sense of humor. And you have kept your readers informed of just about every City meeting and event, better than any other source.

Geoff West and A Bubbling Cauldron are on my list of people and things to be thankful for today.

11/28/2013 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

You're too kind, Robin. I just write... you guys "DO".... thanks for that.

11/28/2013 11:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

These thoughts are shared and they will continue beyond the holiday. Terry K is correct, if it weren't' for the repulsion of the council majority! I would never have met the fine people of this city. Some have become very close friends and will be forever grateful for that.27

11/29/2013 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger kwahlf said...

I hope everyone here had a nice Thanksgiving. Ditto on what Robin said, we know where to go to get the latest information on news and events in our city. We know where to get the truth, not the spin. Thank you for your tireless work, Geoff.
To our dedicated city workers who have stuck it out through the last three hellish years and our dedicated residents fighting to bring back our great city and preserve our open spaces,
Thank you!

11/29/2013 08:53:00 AM  
Anonymous eileen truxton said...

I agree with all of you, especially about Geoff's undeniable contribution and Terry's "comfort zone." Having lived in CM for 25+ years and raising 4 kids in different schools, I thought I was helping in other ways. Sure, I would scan the DP daily for things to keep an eye on. Even paid a little more attention before an election. So, it's with so much regret to say, I voted for Righeimer. The "mere appearance of impropriety" by police officers as rogue cops trumped all other issues. I was duped and definitely did not put in the time and effort to vote as an informed citizen. So, even after selling our home last year, and moving to Newport, I just can't let this go until I can help in any way to fix the disaster I helped create.

11/29/2013 11:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home