Saturday, July 30, 2011

She's Movin' On...

A MILESTONE

Today marks what would have been the 70th birthday of Larry Moore, my best friend since we were five years old. Unfortunately, Larry died December 19, 2003, following six-week stay in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit of a hospital in Las Vegas as a result of a motorcycle accident on his way home from that city. I've written about my friend many times since then. You can read one of those entries HERE.

TERI AT MY SIDE
During my long stay in Las Vegas I was joined by his girlfriend of ten years at that time - a lovely woman named Teri Johnson. She stayed with friends during that time and joined me at the hospital each day as we provided support to our friend and helped guide the outstanding medical team that was trying to pull him back to us.

SHE STAYED CLOSE
Following Larry's death Teri remained close me and to his two daughters and his grandson, providing them with consolation and support over these past seven plus years. And, since she is young enough to be my daughter, she has also been looking for a new life partner.

AN UNANTICIPATED HONOR

Two months ago I was honored when she asked me to walk her down the aisle at her wedding to a wonderful guy named Pete Benesch - a man who looks and acts so much like my pal, Larry, that he could be his younger brother and who shares many of the great qualities that my friend possessed. He also works in public safety - the fire service - has two wonderful adult sons who were his co-best men at the wedding.

A SPECIAL MAN

Lest you think it a little weird that he stood there that glorious morning watching Teri's former boyfriend's best friend walk her down the aisle, please understand that Pete is a VERY special guy. Not only does he understand the very special place Larry had in Teri's heart, but he embraced that common bond Teri and I share with my friend. Pete actually asked my permission to use a phrase in his wedding vows borrowed from a remembrance I wrote about my friend. As I said, Pete is a VERY special guy.

SHE IS MOVING ON...
So, today, July 30, 2011, I'll celebrate my friend's birthday as I have done for more than 65 years, but this time with the knowledge that his lady is moving on with a wonderful man at her side. I know my friend is looking down on them today with love in his heart for them both.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMIGO

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

YOU are a very special guy too Geoff. What a touching story. Freindships like this are wonderful.

7/30/2011 06:44:00 AM  
Anonymous April M said...

Love this!! I never knew what you looked like.. Hee-Hee.. now I can put a face with prose. :O) Thank you for sharing this. Your friends sound like awesome people! Glad there was a happy ending!!

7/30/2011 07:24:00 AM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

I have a feeling that Larry, as his girlfriend's special angel, found a new life partner for her. I sensed years ago that my departed dad, also my special angel, brought Joe back into my life.

7/30/2011 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Flo, you may be right. I heard more than one person at the wedding say that Teri and Pete were a match made in heaven.

7/30/2011 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Pot, this is proof that you really do have a heart; and "You… Look… Marvelous"

For all you myopic blogger’s...
Here is a fine example for those of us whom enter the Cauldron to follow... YES, including myself.

Live as you write, write what you Love and Love though it hurts.

…to be so lucky to have a friend like you.

7/30/2011 12:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin Perrin Photography said...

Nice happenings which every one has enjoying each others company. Which feels happy to their best friend 70th birthday.

11/18/2011 07:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home