Sunday, May 07, 2017

It's Time To Say Adios


CHANGE...
One of the certainties of life is change.  Most of us go through phases in our lives when things change - childhood, school, young adulthood, career(s), kids, empty nesters, retirement and... well, you get the picture.  Today I find myself at another one of those change points. 
SOME HISTORY
When I wrote my very first commentary to the Daily Pilot fifteen years ago it began a change in my life that has proven to be both positive and negative,  simultaneously - just as are most things in life.  From that embryo - and several dozen letters to the editor and commentaries in local newspapers -  this blog has emerged in a couple different iterations.  I wrote my first blog entry using a different blog host - I've referred to it as a "bare bones" blog - on July 9, 2005, cautioning us about the possibility of the use of eminent domain to facilitate change on the Westside of town.  I shifted to this site, where comments are permitted and images are accommodated,  on November 1, 2006.  Now - more than 3400 entries later, with tens of thousands of page views each month (3 million total and counting), several acknowledgements as a top blogger in the area and many new friends (and more than a few enemies) - it’s time for another change.  Although I know my efforts have made a difference in our community, it’s time for me to stop blogging.
UNANTICIPATED EVENTS
As some of you know, last year threw me a very significant curveball health-wise.  Last June a pulmonary embolism, apparently caused by a tumble I took a couple months earlier,  nearly cost me my life.  When the emergency room doctor told me I was lucky, because there were four things that could have happened and the other three would have killed me immediately, it got my attention.  Ever since that time I’ve been dealing with the after effects of that event and other little nuisances that happen during the course of this steady march to geezerdom and it’s slowed me down significantly.  Changes had to be made - including how I did this blog.
HEALTH DEMANDS...
No longer can I attend a meeting until midnight, then come home and write until dawn to meet the expectations of a few thousand people who have grown accustomed to my views awaiting them when they dragged themselves out of bed.  Now I go home, hit the sack and begin putting things together in the morning, with the end result being posted sometime after noon.  It takes longer because I must interrupt my composition to pry myself out of my chair to give this old body some exercise, lest another nasty blood clot manifest itself in a way that would have a very unhappy ending.
ANOTHER LIFE CHANGE
Last month my sweet and very patient wife - and caretaker of my new health protocols - decided to retire from the business she and her two younger brothers have successfully operated for more than four decades.  When she stopped going to the office it marked the first time in our forty-nine years of marriage that we both were out of a job - unless you count this as “a job” - and it’s been very interesting.
THE NEXT PHASE
Now we are planning this next phase of our lives together, which will include the celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary in August and much more travel to many venues we’ve wanted to visit, but just couldn’t carve out the time to do so.  And, it will certainly include many more frequent visits to our favorite getaway on the Central California Coast.  We’re getting very excited about planning these adventures.  And, after many weeks of contemplation and consultation, I just don’t see a way to fold into those adventures the time it takes to continue writing this blog.  It’s not practical and not fair to her, even if I was up to it.  And, of course, there are these nagging health issues which have forced me to abandon my personal mantra - “You only have a certain number of heart beats and none should be wasted on exercise.” - and have caused me to contemplate an exercise program that will also cut into my day.  And, so, we move on...
 I'VE ENJOYED EVERY SINGLE DAY
I’ve enjoyed nearly every single second of the time I’ve spent presenting my thoughts for you, my loyal readers.  Some of you have become more informed, others have been entertained and more than a few have been angered.  I smile when I think of all those reactions to what I write.  Perfection remains an elusive goal.  I acknowledge that I’ve not always been correct in my views, but I’ve always tried to do my homework, study the issues, attend the meetings and provide my best assessment of what I’ve seen and heard.  Some of you have agreed with me and some certainly have not, but I’ve always appreciated your thoughts and have considered them carefully as I tackled the pithy issues facing our community.  I have always appreciated the kind words from those of you who have chosen to write to me. 
APPRECIATE THE PRAISE AND SUPPORT
I’ve also appreciated the praise and encouragement from professionals in the local media.  Former Publisher Tom Johnson and editors, Bill Lobdell, S.J. Cahn, Brady Rhoades, Tony Dodero and John Canalis of the Daily Pilot, for example, have encouraged me, tolerated me, edited and published my too-wordy submissions to make them better, and have chosen me to be part of the DP 103 list of those folks they considered to be influential in our community several times.  Obviously, despite their best efforts, I have still not mastered brevity.  I have abandoned that as a goal.  Many of those editors also offered me a regular column in that fine newspaper - a dozen times, in fact - and I thanked them, but gratefully turned them down.  I’m not geared to be “edited”, nor could I write “on assignment” - I write about what interests me.  I’m also grateful to other local publications and blogs who have offered similar opportunities, and to Gustavo Arellano and the editors of the OC Weekly, who selected my blog as the Best in OC a couple times.  And, of course, I’m grateful to my friend, Byron de Arakal, whose Daily Pilot commentaries many years ago provoked my very first efforts to influence the populace.  This has all been pretty heady stuff for an old guy with marginal writing skills,  a skull full of opinion and too much time on his hands.
THE GOAL
When I began this effort - that word really doesn’t seem right, since this has been less an “effort” than a pursuit of a passion - my goal was to encourage more folks to pay attention and get involved in local issues.  I take great pride in the fact that I’ve met that goal, and then some.  More people have become engaged in local issues due, at least in part, to some of the things I’ve written.
AFTER CONSULTATION AND CONSIDERATION...
I’ve recently tested the waters about stopping this blog with a couple very wise close friends who have asked me to consider simply just cutting back - attend fewer meetings, write fewer words, post fewer entries.  I appreciate that advice and have given it a lot of thought.  However, in my opinion, a big part of the value of what I’ve been doing has to do with continuity.  Attending most important meetings, hearing the comments and seeing the players in action has given me a perspective unlike most others.  If I were to curtail those activities it wouldn’t be long before I would lose the continuity of events and the quality of this product would decline.  I’m not eager for that to happen.  I guess I’d rather stop somewhere near the peak instead of sliding slowly downhill toward the abyss of insignificance.
HANDING OFF IS NOT AN OPTION
Others have suggested I find someone else to either share the writing or to take over A Bubbling Cauldron completely.  That is not an option.  What you’ve read on these pages has been my work product, based on my observations and my opinions.  No, I will retain the domain, toss some water on the flames that keeps this pot boiling and simply let it cool.  I might occasionally resurrect this site from time-to-time, so I suggest you go to image shown above on my Home Page and click on it to use one of the readers available to be alerted when a new entry pops up.  And, I will continue to post any future entries on my Facebook page and on my Twitter feed, too... but those will be few and far between.  And, because things continue to happen in this city, I suspect I’ll be reacting to events on both those platforms, too - just not via the blog.
SOME THOUGHTS...
Before I douse the fire under the old Cauldron I do want to leave you with a few thoughts - for whatever they are worth.
THANKS TO THE EMPLOYEES
First, I want to express my gratitude to every single employee of the City of Costa Mesa.  Much of what I've written has been about them.  I’ve gotten to know many of them quite well over the years.  The trauma many have endured, particularly over the past decade, has been very difficult for them, but they have persevered.  I’ve watched as previous council majorities tried to eviscerate the organization, leaving only anxious, beleaguered employees in the wake of that activity.  I’ve seen new folks come and go. I’ve seen many long term employees retire or simply seek a different pasture - I hesitate to call them “greener” - for a variety of reasons.  During all my contacts with City employees I’ve ALWAYS found them to be helpful, professional and eager to do a good job.  I will always be grateful for that.
THANKS TO YOU READERS
Second, to those of you have become loyal readers - thank you.  Those two little words hardly seem enough.  I have appreciated your participation in the issues of our times.  I know some of you balked when I was forced to require commentors to register, but many simply did the necessary confidential registration and continued to provide us with their insights.  As I’ve said many times, I’m very disappointed that folks with differing viewpoints refused to participate - comments that echo what I write are always welcome, but I much prefer a spirited, intelligent debate, with differing views provided.  Alas, that seldom happens.  On that note, I’ve ceased the registration requirement.  Anybody can now post a comment, but I still have to view each comment before approving it for publication.  If I think someone has attempted to use another’s identity I simply will not post it.  If someone posts language that will offend others, I will not post it.  I will post opposing viewpoints.  It really won’t be much of an issue, since there will be few entries on which to post comments.  In many cases I suspect our relationships will cease because I’ve stopped publishing this blog, since we have been bound together in our common interests on city issues and I’m walking away.  That will sadden me, but I do understand...
THE COUNCIL'S DOING OK, BUT...
Third, while I’m generally happy with the present configuration of the new City Council and the commissions and committees they have appointed, I’m not particularly pleased with how things have been going.  I agree with many of their plans for the direction this city will be taking for the next couple of years.  But, in my opinion, the strained relationships on the dais need to be resolved quickly.  The core of City Council - Mayor Katrina Foley, Mayor Pro Tem Sandra Genis and Councilman John Stephens - make up a group of dedicated, intelligent, clear thinkers who know how to frame arguments and persuade others.  I’m not unhappy that Jim Righeimer and Allan Mansoor are in the minority and I suspect we’ll see many 3-2 votes as the months progress... such is life.
MAJOR ISSUES AHEAD
There are several major issues that the new council majority will be working on that will effect all of us.  For example:
LIONS PARK PROJECT COSTS
The Lions Park Project, which replaces the existing Neighborhood Community Center with a new, state-of-the-art two-story library and converts the existing Donald Dungan Branch Library into a new, smaller community center.  The project also creates a new acre of public parkland.  Ever since this project was proposed the costs have escalated.  You all need to pay attention to that because there’s no doubt that trend will continue.


DISTRICT VOTING/DIRECTLY-ELECTED MAYOR
The Directly-elected mayor/District Voting scheme will begin implementation for the 2018 election cycle.  Candidates for that mayor slot are already jockeying for positions and folks are trying to figure out how they might run for the other vacancies.  It will take the next cycle, in 2020, to complete this metamorphosis.  Watch how this is managed by the City Council, and watch Jim Righeimer - who hijacked this process at the last minute and forced this new method onto the ballot - scramble for that mayor slot since he’s termed out of his council seat in 2018.


ROLLING BACK THE OVERLAYS
Undoing the Harbor and Newport Boulevard Overlays that were passed by the last regime as part of the General Plan update.  Those were developer-driven and tax our infrastructure, add horrendous amounts of traffic to our streets and are bad ideas for Costa Mesans.
SMALL LOT ORDINANCE
Revisiting the Small Lot Ordinance - another developer-driven change that has codified the dilution of protections for our neighborhoods to facilitate rampant growth throughout the city.
SOBER LIVING HOMES
Keep an eye on how the City deals with the whole Sober Living Home issue.  The most recent changes to our two ordinances might help, but there will certainly be lawsuits that will spring from our attempts to enforce our rules and that industry - a $35 billion business - will certainly test our resolve and our treasury.
HOMELESSNESS SOLUTIONS
How effectively will our City Council and staff deal with Homelessness in our city.  We’re told we have the greatest number of homeless individuals per capita than any other Orange County city.  Progress has been made, but there are no easy solutions to this issue.
PUBLIC SAFETY
Public Safety is a top priority for the City Council.  Hold their feet to the fire on the staffing issues - the CMPD continues to be understaffed by about 20%, and that’s based on the bogus staffing level imposed by the previous administration.  We currently have no staff Crime Scene Investigators (CSIs), so patrol officers are forced to perform those duties.  We may not reach that staffing level until the end of next year, and that will still put us about 10% below the proper staffing level necessary to properly protect our residents, businesses and visitors.  Costa Mesa Fire and Rescue seems to be on the right track now, which is encouraging.
OUTSOURCING AND CONSULTANT COSTS
Outsourcing continues to plague our city.  Right now our entire senior management level in Development Services is made up of very expensive - and very competent - contract employees.  Most of the engineering done in the city is done by contractors, as is much of the inspection and plan check services.  Contractors operate our jail and street sweeping services and, as of the end of June, will do all park and landscape maintenance, too.  It’s important to manage those resources carefully, to be sure the residents are being properly served.
MANY IMMEDIATE MEETINGS PENDING
As I fold this tent up now I will remind you that there are plenty of things that should require your immediate attention over the next few weeks. 
PLANNING COMMISSION MONDAY
Monday there is a Planning Commission meeting, which I’ve already written about. 
BUDGET MEETING TUESDAY
Tuesday, however, is a Special Study Session beginning at 5:00 p.m. in Conference Room 1A at which the City Council will dig into a proposed budget that increases spending by more than 7%, to a total of over $155 million.  Read the staff report HERE.
SENIOR COMMISSION ALSO TUESDAY
Tuesday morning there will be a meeting of the unnecessary (in my opinion) Senior Commission meeting at the Senior Center at 9:00 a.m. HERE.
COUNCIL MEETING ON THE 16TH
The following Tuesday - the 16th - there will likely be another council meeting.  
COMMUNITY BUDGET MEETING ON THE 18TH
On Thursday, the 18th, there will be a Community Budget meeting at 5:30 in Conference Room 1A - a time for residents to hear about the budget in a casual, participative atmosphere.  These have been sparsely-attended in past years, but represent an opportunity for residents to get up close and personal with the budget process, ask questions and take away a much clearer understanding of how spending our tax money is prioritized.
YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN... BUT THERE IS HELP
Since I will no longer be reporting about these meetings for you in the future, I suggest you visit the City website, HERE,  frequently and check the Calendar to see what’s happening.  And, click on the Costa Mesa Minute on the left side of the page for the latest information, presented by Dane Bora and the CMTV team.  Also, click HERE to be taken to the “e-notification” page (there’s also a link at the top of the City Home Page) where you can sign up for any and all city communications and meeting announcements.  I suggest you just check the box at the bottom to subscribe to them all.  Public Information Officer Tony Dodero is doing a good job of pumping out information - particularly in his Costa Mesa Snapshot each week.  If you can’t make it to meetings, be sure you watch them on live CMTV or live streamed on the City web site or view them later.  Another GREAT community resource is Diane Hill’s United Neighbors Newsletter.  To subscribe, write to her at unitedneighbors@cmprepared.com. and include a telephone number so she can contact you before including you on one of her subscription lists.
READ THE LOCAL COVERAGE
And please do avail yourselves of the excellent Costa Mesa reporting being done by Luke Money in the Daily Pilot and Louis Casiano, Jr. in the Orange County Register.  Both do a fine job of covering the most important issues, and do so without the burden of having to provide an opinion - just the facts.
BEWARE OF SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
Don’t be swayed by the bogus social media sites that have evolved in our city over the past couple years.  The Costa Mesa Public Square (CMPS), for example, was created by a resident, then was taken over by out-of-towners  intent on influencing the last election.  They failed, despite the fact that several elected officials and their appointed surrogates commented long and loud.  Some of the same folks swept in and snatched one site of reason and civilized discussion - Dennis Barton’s Costa Mesa site - when he passed away, and have turned it into a kind of Costa Mesa Public Square Annex.  Tom Johnson, mentioned above, opined when I was a guest on his radio show a year ago that the CMPS site was specifically created to counter the influence this blog was having on city issues.  I have no idea if that’s true or not, but others have attempted to defame the efforts that appeared here by creating blogs to compete - and they are long gone.
NOT AN EASY DECISION, BUT...
It is with very strong mixed emotions, and a lot of consultation and contemplation, that I’ve decided to stop blogging.  The site will remain open for your reference and, maybe, the occasional entry.  It has not been an easy decision, but is one I felt was necessary at this point in my life for the reasons mentioned above.  I wish you all well.  I will miss our interaction.  You probably have not heard the last of me, but - at least for awhile - this is adios.  Thanks, one more time, for your loyalty, friendship and your enthusiastic willingness to joust on issues.  You will always occupy a warm spot in my heart.  It’s been one of the great joys of my life to serve you.
ADIOS, AMIGOS...

Labels: , , , , , ,

36 Comments:

Blogger kwahlf said...

Thank you, Geoff for your many years of hard work, dedication
and tireless efforts to keep us informed on politics and events
in our city.
So many of us knew you would get the truth out there, something
that was vilified, scorned and avoided by some in power.
Speaking and writing the truth makes you a target, but you carried
on regardless. For that we are grateful.
The BC will be missed, but I know we keep in touch on your Facebook
page.
Enjoy your retirement with Susie! I hope you take time to relax as well
as travel.
Thank you again, Geoff.

5/08/2017 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thank you, Karin. 😘

5/08/2017 12:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Greg Diamond said...

Even up here in Brea I can feel a sudden burst of wind heading southward as a result of the vacuum you suddenly leave. I hope that the city's politics survives your departure as a citizen-journalist. I wish that I were exaggerating, but that's really how I feel.

Get healthy and let me know if that "exercise" thing actually works for you. If you really recommend it, I might just have to try it.

Hail and Farewell -- or, rather, Hail and See You Around!

5/08/2017 02:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Byron de Arakal said...

You'll forever be an important and indelible figure in Costa Mesa's history, Geoff. It is a testament to the depth of your affection for your city, your work ethic, and the principles and values that guided your writings. Well done, mi amigo.

5/08/2017 05:46:00 AM  
Blogger sasper said...

As a Newporter who reads "The Pot Stirrer" regularly to hear and see the truth of what is going on in my second favorite city. I will miss the clear, concise,and funny information. I get why you are leaving, but I am grieving a little bit, and hoping after your time hopping around the country and excercising your brains out, you will come back.

Have fun for a little while,

Sandy Asper

5/08/2017 06:02:00 AM  
Blogger Chris McEvoy said...

Thank you Geoff

5/08/2017 06:24:00 AM  
Blogger mesa verde madman said...

Without you and your silly little blog, I can't imagine where this city would be now. I know I've spent a few hours in here over the years.

Thank you for everything you've done, Geoff! Take care of yourself, enjoy life and keep on keeping' on!

5/08/2017 06:34:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well done, Geoff.
You have done immense good for Costa Mesa and richly deserve more family and travel time. Those of us who are invested in the good of this city will never forget your fine efforts over so many years.
I suspect you'll be against it, but August 14th in Costa Mesa should be declared "Geoff West Day." :P

5/08/2017 06:40:00 AM  
Blogger HB gal said...

Happy anniversary and congratulations on your retirement. You have done a very thorough job keeping your fellow residents informed. Hope you enjoy good health and extensive travel.

5/08/2017 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

I have a HUGE ache/lump in my throat and tears are streaming down my face. I understand; I "hear ya" and I am walking in the same direction...

5/08/2017 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeff, THANK YOU!! No words can express the thanks owed to you for all your time and effort with putting the news and commentaries out from a citizens perspective. I can only imagine the countless hours spent daily and nightly over the years with the cauldron taking on this thank less task at times. To you my friend take care of yourself and enjoy your new foundvtime with the wife and thank you for our friendship we have made over the years!!
Fred Seguin

5/08/2017 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I admire your conviction to the truth and for your tireless efforts on this blog.
Congrats on your anniversary, wishing you the best in your travels and all that is to come!

5/08/2017 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Gitane said...

Thank you, Geoff.

5/08/2017 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger clprevatt said...

Geoff,

Your contributions to civic debate in Costa Mesa will be greatly missed. I have enjoyed your insight and determined vigilance on behalf of your community.

Having had to stop blogging a few years ago myself, I can say you may miss blogging for a little while, but ultimately you'll​ find other things to fill your time.

Enjoy your time with your lovely wife, and best wishes for this next phase of your retirement.

Chris Prevatt, former Publisher, TheLiberalOC.com

5/08/2017 01:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Evan Custer said...

I was glad to have stumbled upon this blog a few years back when I became a Costa Mesa resident, and despite being more of a lurker than participant, my knowledge of the history and political landscape of our city has grown immensely because of it, so thank you Geoff!

5/08/2017 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Geoff, I heard about this on CMPS. I hear you on your opinion of that Facebook page. It was terrible what happened on Dennis Barton's old page. It showed me what pieces of shit Rick Jennye and... Someone else are. I suspected, but that one really put it to a new low. Just my opinion so that can't be slander right?

Regardless, your writings, I have not always agreed with, but I am glad you were a part of the discussion. Thanks for your life's work thus far and enjoy your new chapter.

5/08/2017 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Cindy Lou Who said...

Ah Geoff, as much as I will miss reading your wonderful truths, I am thrilled for you and Suzie! Life is short and meant to be shared and lived to it's fullest. Your travel adventures, quiet times at home, and those wonderful drives up to Cambria are certainly well earned and deserved. Maybe we'll get a little travelogue blog?
I weep for our community though with the loss of your blog. It is where most of us went for the best analysis of what really happened at the various meetings. Agree or disagree, you always told the truth. I will miss your blog but will see you down the road for sure my friend. Cindy B and Tom too!

5/08/2017 05:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Tom Egan said...

So, you chose to rip the adhesive tape off quickly, Pot Stirrer, rather than slowly so your readers could slowly get used to your retiring from the blog. While some stickums are better removed slowly, others are better removed quickly.

Of course it’s a good idea for you to do it quickly, given the new physical burdens you bear, but I feel a sudden, great emptiness in CM civic life now.

For you’ve affected far more than the thousands who read your blog. Those people were enlightened by your facts and opinions and in turn passed them on to friends and relatives. So the outwardly spreading reach of your work has enlightened tens of thousands of people.

Not bad for a one-man local news show!

I’ve certainly benefited from your reporting efforts, and I thank you for that. I’ve also enjoyed your excellent writing … it goes down easily and is elegant. I’ve always tried to learn from your writing. Now if you could just write more briefly, I could maybe learn from that, too!

But then, matters of politics are only brief when reduced to sound bites and tweets. When they are written to include the nuances that bedevil every political matter – if there were no nuances, a computer algorithm could replace all our elected officials, eh? – they are necessarily long.

Even this encomium is running on, even though it’s in response to only one piece of news … your retirement. Couldn’t be helped, your contributions to the political realm have been so extensive.

Stay well, live long, and prosper, Geoff!

5/08/2017 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger zennymoon said...

Geoff, You will never leave because your footprint is forever indented in the major events of these past years. Even though I would be at some of the council, planning commission meetings, I would be eager to read your take on the evening, along with many other Costa Mesan's. You and Susie deserve a wonderful long term vacation. You will be missed...and it is time for all your fans to be unselfish and set you free....flutter off in the breeze of freedom.

5/08/2017 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger Gay said...

I cried when I read this as you have meant so much to so many of us. I understand why and I wish you all the best that life has to offer. Be well my friend, but keep in touch!

5/08/2017 07:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

Your posts will be missed of course. You've done a lot of good for the community. In fact, your blog helped Costa Mesa have a greater sense of community by bringing us constant news about what was going on in this City. Thank you, thank you, thank you and ditto to Susie too for being "patient and longsuffering"!

5/08/2017 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thanks to all of you who posted here. I'm very grateful for all the kind words and good wishes. Providing you all with information over all these years has been a real joy for me.

5/09/2017 01:11:00 AM  
Blogger Honeyman said...

Went thru dozens of posts, all erased, to express how I feel. Decided to quote someone FAR more elequant than I to sum up my feelings.

"I've spent so many thousands of yesterdays but you get to an age where you say, 'How many tomorrows do I have left?'" he said.

"If somebody said to you, 'You only have 123 tomorrows as of today,' the first thing you would say is, 'Whoa, they're precious,' I want to be with the most precious part of my life," finished Scully. "And that's where I am. However many tomorrows I have, I'm spending my todays exactly the way I want."

I understand, appreciate, and have come to accept your decision, Geoff. But your voice and this blog will be deeply missed by this community.

5/09/2017 05:59:00 PM  
Blogger Honeyman said...

Good riddance!

Sincerely,

Fitz........er...I mean....anonomiss

5/10/2017 05:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Christine Nolf said...

The last council meeting I was at, I left early, and thought to myself, Geoff is there and I can read about it. As I drove away I was contemplating what a huge commitment you have made to our city and community. And I thought, "What would we do without Geoff West? " I suppose the best way we can honor you and your work is to be engaged and pay attention. I can't commit to attending every meeting but I will pay attention and speak up. You are an inspiration as a community member and blogger. Thank you. Your blog will be missed and I hope to see you soon.

5/10/2017 09:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Geoff not blogging? Yeah, sure....and their are no wicked witches of the west and the Easter Bunny will start coming out on Mother's day and Jim Righeimer will present Geoff with Citizen of the Year when he becomes Mayor of Goat Hill Tavern.

No, we will just have to stand by to stand by. Don't forget....Geoff was an Army
Intelligence Officer.....(the worst of the entire breed). He couldn't shut up if he had a mouth full of pop corn. Isn't he the one that said: "Never give up....never...never...nevre...give up!"?

Love ya man Ron & Anna

5/11/2017 04:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Skeptical in Costa Mesa said...

Thank you Geoff for keeping me well informed of all that's happening(ed) in CM over the years. You'll be sorely missed. Enjoy your new surroundings and STAY OUT OF POLITICS for your own mental health and well being :)

5/14/2017 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

I keep checking back here to see if something, anything new has been posted. Pathetic, really. I think I'm still in denial.

5/17/2017 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Sorry, Robin,
I'm doing my very best to stay disengaged but it's not easy! Now comes word that Monahan is planning a run for mayor next year! Arrgghh! 😩 Will the drama never stop?😫

5/17/2017 11:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin Leffler said...

Don't be sorry, You did the right thing! Of course we'll miss your blog like crazy, you got us hooked on spoon-feed City information. People are so much more aware now.
Maybe someone will step up and do something like it, but nobody can fill your shoes.

5/18/2017 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Humberto said...

Geoff, thank you for making Costa Mesa a nicer place to live. Saludos from Colombia.

6/10/2017 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Humberto, my friend, thanks for the kind words. You are missed. Be well.

6/10/2017 09:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Ken Nyquist said...

My first read after 7 weeks in the hospital to undergo brain surgery.........Adios my friend...........

6/18/2017 07:41:00 AM  
Anonymous And So it Goes said...

Geoff: we will miss your blog so much!! (Sorry for the delayed addition to the many posts... thought I'd hit "send" earlier".) You are a treasure and yes, you most certainly do deserve a "Geoff West Day" award from the City! Thank you for all you have done, the many you've kept informed, and for all you reported on - especially when "some" didn't want or appreciate your reporting. Many of will miss your blog sorely. Hope to see you and Susie walking "the hood"!

6/19/2017 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thank you for your kind words. I'm just happy more folks are involved in city issues today. With all the criticsl issues facing the city it's critical that resident involvement stay focused snd persistent.

6/19/2017 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Dell Living said...

The City of Tustin is committed to addressing the homelessness crises affecting our community.
Recently, concerned citizens have shared their concerns with staff and our City Council. As such, the City Council will be discussing this important issue at the July 18, 2017 City Council Meeting in the Council Chamber located at 300 Centennial Way.

For more information, please visit our website at http://www.tustinca.org/cityhall/service... or call Regina Blankenhorn at (714) 573-3012.
Jun 23 in General to 68 neighborhoods in City of Tustin

6/23/2017 05:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home