Monday, May 19, 2014

Joyce Gone!

LOCAL MEDIA REPORTS JOYCE'S DEPARTURE
Late today both Bradley Zint in the Daily Pilot, HERE, and Scott Martindale in the Orange County Register, HERE, report that Costa Mesa Public Affairs Manager Dan Joyce is no longer employed by the city.

MAJOR FINANCIAL TROUBLES
As those who follow this story know, Joyce was a central figure in the now-notorious 60th Anniversary Celebration that resulted in more than $500,000 in expenses - well beyond what had been approved by the City Council.

PAID SINCE AUGUST
Joyce has been on paid administrative leave since last August.  According to the news reports, no further information on his termination is available, with officials citing personnel confidentiality.

WILL THE TRUTH NOW COME OUT, OR?
His departure brings up some interesting thoughts.  For example, now that he's gone will he tell the world what happened that caused him to be such a central figure in what was, at least, a circumvention of established policies?  Or, has he received a deal for his silence?

WHAT ABOUT THE DA?
And, even more important, what will District Attorney Tony Rackaukas - a political ally of certain Costa Mesa politicians -  do about this case?  It's my understanding that his office has had this case in its hands for several months with no apparent action taking place.  This, of course, looks very peculiar when compared to the hasty rush to judgment in the case of employee Steve White and the destroyed campaign signs.  That case - where the DA prosecuted him for destruction of about $5.00 worth of personal property - went to trial.  White was found not guilty.

WE DESERVE THE TRUTH!
So, the drama surrounding the 60th Anniversary continues to swirl.  The residents, tax payers and voters of this city deserve to know what happened and who was responsible.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Hold 'em Accountable said...

Dan Joyce, like Julie Folcik will be the scapegoat for a lousy, crooked, 5th floor leadership.

Too bad. He's a good guy. Oh, ya.....Bob Knapp is a good guy too.....and he's gone.

Ethics and integrity have no place on the 5th floor!

CM Councilmen are a joke!

5/19/2014 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Mike H. said...

You can always count on Zint to fumble one fact away.

"Officials released more than 1,000 pages related to the three-day party, which cost about $518,000 — significantly more than its original $315,000 estimate for the 60th festivities."

No, that's wrong again.

The year-long celebration was $315,000.

They spent $518,000 in three days.

5/19/2014 11:10:00 PM  
Anonymous apple said...

Joyce finally left when the City of Costa Mesa paid the settlement. They negotiated for months on the amount according to a little birdie. Now, if only we somehow pay off Hatch and his cronies to leave..

5/20/2014 05:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Arthur Nern said...

To read the OCR story you'd think Rig-noccio was on our side.

We still need to know if all the money paid out was earned or grossly inflated. What did the mayor know and when did he know it.

5/20/2014 06:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Skeptical in Costa Mesa said...

Good luck on that!

5/20/2014 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Didn't Sue Lester say at Public Comments she'd been questioned by the FBI regarding the 60th?

5/20/2014 09:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Muffin Top Bob said...

I wonder what the fine folks over at the Costa Mesa Taxpayers Association think about having Mr. Joyce on paid administration leave for so long, only to have him leave and take a nice settlement check with him? Seems like a lot taxpayers money wasted on someone that the City knew wasn't wasn't coming back.

5/20/2014 09:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

Muffin, the CMTaxpayers have been very quiet especially since Joyce was one of Riggy's hires, that he brought in right before the pension and benefits package was due to change. Birds of a feather....

5/20/2014 11:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home