Thursday, April 10, 2014

Contemplating A Successful Business

LONGEVITY - SUPERIOR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
I was chatting on the telephone with a friend the other evening when the subject of a business owned by his relatives came up.  This business, which goes back to the horse-and-buggy days, remains a benchmark for superior products and service in its field.

CHECKING THEM OUT
As we talked I fired up the computer and found the company web site, which gave much of the company history - a multi-generational family business, still growing strong even in tough economic times.  As I jumped from page to page on the site I came across one titled, "Vision, Mission and Values" and, at the end of that page was this chart, "Core Values".
(Click on the image to enlarge)

SIMPLE STATEMENTS
I read down through that list and found myself thinking, "Wow! Seven simple statements about the values that are important to this business, and should be to ANY business!" Take a moment to read those values again...
BOGUS SCHEME 
Then I thought about the City of Costa Mesa, and the bogus attempt by the current council majority - primarily driven by Mayor Jim Righeimer - to run the city like a business.  Unfortunately, the "business" model they've chosen seems not to have any core values like those stated above... and that's a shame. 
RUN IT LIKE A CITY!
In my opinion, our city should NOT be run like a business - it should be run like a city, guided by core values like those shown above and by the application of fair, reasonable laws and policies that place the well-being of the residents of the city first.  No business can operate successfully with such a top-heavy management structure, where party planners and public relations schemes are placed ahead of public safety and excellent service to the residents and visitors to this city.

REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER
This is something to contemplate as we enter what will certainly be a very, very contentious campaign season.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger valan2 said...

I worked for the City of Costa Mesa for over 30 years, retiring 9 years ago. During all that time, I found - and still find - City staff to embrace the values stated on the website of your friend's business. That holds true especially for the values regarding respect and ethics.

Sure, there were occasional exceptions, but those few "bad apples" never spoiled the barrel. The vast majority were and, as far as I can see, still are conscientious, ethical, respectful, hard-working people.

Over the decades, Costa Mesa has experienced a variety of City Council members, most of whom also displayed the same values. Those who did not, were in the minority and seldom lasted longer than one term.

Never, in the 42 years I have been inside or observing the City organization, have I seen the kind of disrespect the current Council majority displays for citizens, rules, and ethics.

I can only hope this majority will follow the historic trend and not last longer than one term.

In the meantime, the City staff (with a few exceptions, and you know who they are) should be commended for continuing to discharge their duties in a respectful, responsible, professional manner in spite of the bad example being set by their "leaders."

4/11/2014 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Valan2,
I agree with you observation 100%. My post was NOT directed at the city staff. You have a much better perspective on this situation than most of us, so I do appreciate your contribution here.

I've been part of organizations that shared the values shown above. It was a joy working in that kind of an environment. I've also worked, briefly, at a place that had a work environment similar to the toxic conditions we see in The City now. It was terrible, so I bailed out, leaving behind significant benefits on the table.

While I don't like to see good, hardworking employees leaving for other jobs or retiring early, I DO understand why they chose to do so. I can only wish them well.

4/11/2014 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home