Friday, September 14, 2012

Tomorrow is "Say Thank You To A Police Officer" Day

A SPECIAL DAY TOMORROW
Tomorrow has been designated as "Say Thank You To A Police Officer Day", so I hope you will join me in doing just that - seek out a police officer and say "Thank You" to them for all they do.

SERVING DESPITE SCORN
Over the years I've gotten to know many of the brave and beleaguered members of the Costa Mesa Police Department and admire their ability to continue to provide such a high level of service to our community.  I especially admire them because they do this while being vilified by some elected leaders in this community as greedy slackers who are trying to ruin our city with their exorbitant salaries and pensions.


WITH GRATITUDE TO THE CMPD
Personally, I want to thank Chief Tom Gazsi and all the men and women of the Costa Mesa Police Department for their tireless dedication to our community.  They work overtime to provide coverage to the city knowing full well that some elected leaders will paint them as greedy for doing so.  And yet, they stay out there, placing their lives on the line for us all.  They continue to serve despite having the resouces - both human and equipment-wise - necessary to the do the job well, eliminated.

I UNDERSTAND...
I readily acknowledge a pro-police bias.  My best friend since we were five years old was a career member of the Los Angeles Police Department.  Through him I've know many police officers and their families.  I understand better than many just what it's like for those families to watch their loved one head out to work and never know when, or if, he or she will return.  I understand that apprehension.  I also understand the pride that most police officers have in their chosen profession and the shared goal of keeping their communities safe.  I understand that...


SAY THANKS...
So, join me in finding a way to say thank you to a police officer tomorrow.


Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mike H. said...

In case I don't see one... many thanks!

9/14/2012 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Ray T. said...

Many thanks to the men and women of CMPD. I have had the pleasure of interacting with the police recently and they do a good job. They are professional, competent and capable.

9/15/2012 09:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Question said...

What day is thank you to a Taxpayer Day?

9/15/2012 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Tom Egan said...

To Mike H. regarding: “In case I don't see one...,”

20 – 30 years ago, I would see a CM police officer nearly every day, even if I wasn’t out and about (they very frequently cruised through the residential streets to “show the flag” back then). It would have been easy then to say “Thanks.”

Nowadays it’s more like I see a cop in CM nearly every month.

Back then, I, like most folks who were brought up to respect the law (in my case that was Respect with a capital R), I felt uneasy whenever I saw a cop. Am I speeding? Did I signal for that last lane change?

Now I’m uneasy when I don’t see a police officer. I now carry a burden of apprehension, waiting for the inevitable shoe of crime to drop. How long can we go before bad guys realize that the cops they don’t see are ones that won’t be around to arrest them?

So, Costa Mesa is not only “ground zero” for the GOP’s experiment in taking control of small towns, but is also an inadvertent laboratory to further demonstrate the “broken windows theory” of criminologists.

(From Wikipedia, “Under the broken windows theory, an ordered and clean environment – one which is maintained – sends the signal that the area is monitored and that criminal behavior will not be tolerated. Conversely, a disordered environment – one which is not maintained (broken windows, graffiti, excessive litter) – sends the signal that the area is not monitored and that one can engage in criminal behavior with little risk of detection.”)

We report, you decide.

9/15/2012 12:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Level the playing field said...

To Question said...
You --"What day is thank you to a Taxpayer Day?"

Reply "When you become willing to lay your life on the line for others instead of worrying about your own personal safety".

9/15/2012 01:14:00 PM  
Anonymous roboto said...

what day is thank a taxpayer day? sorry to repeat but the comments such as calling taxpayer advocates scumbags are too good. want more insults please.

9/15/2012 03:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Mike McNiff said...

Calendar - thanks for making my day.

9/15/2012 04:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Disgusted Republican said...

Yes thank you Calendar! Good response. I'm looking forward to Nov. 6 when the real haters and thugs (current cc union/ 3ms/bever/Fitzpatrick/ et al) are replaced by real leaders who value their constituents and their city and doing the right thing. There are lots and lots of CM residents from the whole political spectrum and not associated with any group who feel the same way. And I know there are also CM residents who will tell the 3ms they are voting for them but will in actuality be voting for 1,2,3!

9/15/2012 07:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Disgusted Republican said...

Love the photos of emperor thugheimer in the la times. Will someone please tell him he isn't wearing any clothes?!?! What a Loser Tool!!

9/16/2012 10:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home