Monday, July 30, 2012

A Day For Remembrance

MARKING MY FRIEND'S BIRTHDAY
As many of you who have been reading these pages know, each year on this day, July 30th, I write about my best friend, Larry Moore.  Today would have been his 71st birthday.  If you're tired of hearing about it, just click away from this page.
A TRUE FRIEND
Larry was my best friend for 57 years.  We were closer than most brothers from the age of five.  He was hospitalized from injuries he received when he crashed his motorcycle on a remote desert road early in November, 2003 and finally succumbed to those injuries on December 19th, 2003.  I was at his side throughout that time, helping make decisions to, hopefully, bring him back.  It was not to be...

AN EARLIER REMEMBRANCE
HERE is a link to a piece I wrote about him a few years ago that includes a commentary published in the Daily Pilot shortly after he died.  The message I wrote then remains relevant today. 
PROUD MEMBER OF THE LAPD
My pal was a proud member of the Los Angeles Police Department and for the last half of his 31-year career he ran the athletic programs at the Police Academy.  He loved his work and the men and women of that department.
HOORAY FOR WEEKENDS
He was also a singer, formed a band and performed on television.  I recently stumbled across a YouTube video of one of his original compositions that he recorded back when we were in our late teens.  Enjoy it.  Happy Birthday, amigo.  I miss you very much.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Flo Martin said...

You, too, are a wonderful, caring person and friend. I raise my glass to you!

7/30/2012 10:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Maserati said...

What a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing his story with us.

7/30/2012 04:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin said...

What a fun, groovy song. Thanks for sharing, your friend's talent shines on!

7/31/2012 12:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home