Thursday, July 30, 2009

Remembering My Friend, Again



MY BEST FRIEND'S BIRTHDAY
As some of you know, on this date for the past few years I have written a few words to pay homage to my best friend since we were both 5 years-old - Larry Moore. Today would have been his 68th birthday. Larry died in December, 2003 following six weeks in trauma intensive care as a result of a motorcycle accident. Although I stayed at his bedside during that time, trying to
get him back, it was not to be and he succumbed to his injuries.

PROUD LAPD OFFICER

My pal was a proud member of the Los Angeles Police Department for more than 31 years - the last half of which he was the Athletic Director at the Los Angeles Police Academy, near Dodger Stadium. Even following his retirement, he remained active in law enforcem
ent athletic events. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the California Police Athletic League - the sponsoring entity for the Western States Summer Games (formerly called the Police Olympics) and also a member and director of the international body that produced the World Police and Fire Games.

BAKER-TO-VEGAS

He and his partner on the job, Chuck Foote (also retired), created the Baker-to-Vegas Challenge Cup Relay - a gut-busting relay race for public safety officers that has operated for more than a quarter century. The photo above is from a recent cover of a monthly news letter c
ommemorating the 25th anniversary of the race and shows my pal and his partner at one of the events. Following Larry's death Chuck has kept the race on track and thriving.

TOUGHEST COP ALIVE
Larry created another event, which is now part of the "Games" mentioned above, that he called the Toughest Cop Alive (TCA). The passage of time and political correctnes
s caused the name to change to the Toughest Competitor Alive, but the event remains the same. It's a one-day combination of activities designed to test even the toughest person, in which the competitors run, jump, climb, swim, lift and run an obstacle course to determine just who is the toughest. The event is now named for him - "Larry Moore's TCA".

LARRY'S LEGACY IS CLEAR

At my age now - two weeks younger than my pal would have been - I contemplate just what my mark will be when I'm no longer around. Larry's mark is clear and is m
emorialized by a bronze plaque at the Los Angeles Police Academy. He left a legacy of accomplishment and inspiration for at least two generations of law enforcement men and women, their friends and families. That was driven home to me as I fielded literally thousands of emails and telephone calls expressing concern and offering best wishes to him during his long stay in the hospital.

A "BEST FRIEND" TO MANY
Even more important, he was a man that many considered their best friend.

EXPRESS YOUR LOVE - DON'T WAIT!

So, once again on his birthday, I remember my friend and the
impact he had on so many lives. And, I remind you all to tell those you love just how you feel. Don't wait.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMIGO. I MISS YOU...Geoff & Larry

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dave Waterman said...

He coached our Water Polo team way back---in the old Police Olympics. Have no idea how he ever found time to be a motor officer.

7/30/2009 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Dave, thanks for the note... my buddy was like a fish, as you know. Got more out of his small frame than any swimmer I ever saw. Even in his 50s he had one of the fastest flip turns I've ever seen! He was born to play water polo... could shoot from anywhere. Did you know he also played football on the LAPD Centurians? Yep, he was a punter in high school and fulfilled that role for the LAPD, too. Quite a guy...

7/30/2009 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home