Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Smiles, Frowns, Faith and More...

NO JOKES, PLEASE!
Seldom do I pass on jokes, etc. because that practice becomes something akin to the blob - it grows exponentially as recipients simply must reciprocate and jam email inbox with all manner of garbage. I'm grateful to all my email correspondents for honoring my request to never, ever, under any circumstance, send me jokes, recipes, homilies, chain letters, charitable solicitations, etc.


A "PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT" FROM THE ORANGE JUICE! BLOG

That being said, our friend Terry Crowley over at the Orange Juice! Blog posted a clever piece - a "public service announcem
ent" - that might bring a smile to your face. Here's the LINK. If you're in a particularly grumpy mood it might help brighten your day.

A NEW SOURCE FOR SMILES

I'm running out of reasons to continue to subscribe to the Los Angeles Times. I like to begin each day by reading many of the offerings on their "Comics And Mo
re" page. That is no longer necessary because I've discovered THIS SITE. I fear that the Los Angeles Times may be destined for the fate recently threatened by the Hearst Corporation for it's San Francisco Chronicle - closure. Apparently, the venerable Chronicle is bleeding bucks to the tune of $50 million last year and the flow of outward bound dollars has increased this year.

NEW LEADERS TO BE NAMED ON PARKS & REC. COMMISSION

Tonight, at it's first meeting since two new members were appointed by the City Council, the Parks and Recreation Commission will meet at their regularly scheduled time of 6:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers. You can get a good idea of what this commission is responsible for by visiting THIS SITE. First up will be the election of a new Chairman and
Vice Chair. It will be interesting to see what impact the two new guys, Jeff Mathews and Kim Pederson have on the proceedings.

START TIME TO BE CHANGED

Then the commission will hear a proposal to begin their meetings at 6:00 p.m. henceforth to, in the words provided in the staff report, "..reduce staff and operational costs and to increase community participation in meetings.." I'm not sure about those "operational costs" - perhaps it's staff overtime, but it seems to me that by starting a half-hour earlier would tend to reduce the opportunity for community involvement rather than increase it since most folks work outside the city. Of course, the City Council meetings begin at 6:00, so maybe this plan has merit. We'll see...

BILL LOBDELL'S NEW BOOK NOW AVAILABLE

Today was the first day of public sale o
f former Daily Pilot Editor and Los Angeles Times Religion Reporter Bill Lobdell's new book, "Losing My Religion - How I lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America... and Found Unexpected Peace". I bought my copy today at Borders on Newport Blvd. and 19th Street. That will be the site of his first book signing event this Saturday, February 28th beginning at 2 p.m. See you there.. Here's a link to Lobdell's blog which includes a calendar of his events, including an appearance on KOCE Friday, February 27th at 6 p.m.

MORE ON DONN HALL

As mentioned in my last post, long time community activist and elected leader, Donn Hall, is in the hospital. The Daily Pilot has a piece on his illness HERE. We wish him and his family all the best.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home