Monday, January 21, 2008

Daily Pilot Blog Registration Implemented


FREE-FOR-ALLS MAY BE OVER
After a couple years of hosting what has some times turned out to be a free-for-all on their blog, the management of the Daily Pilot has implemented a registration program today for those hoping to post comments on their articles online.

EASY REGISTRATION

It took me less than one minute to fill out the online registration form, which include
d an "identity" - I used my own name, as I have done in the past - a password and personal information. That information - name, address, email address and telephone number - is the same information a person would have to provide if submitting a commentary or letter to the editor to the print edition. None of that personal information will be visible to online readers.

THE NEW SYSTEM WORKS
I posted a comment using the new system and it seemed to work just as it had be
fore except that my "identity" was pre-printed on the form. The process of submitting multi-part comments works the same as before, as well. I posted a 2-part comment, just to test it. I assume it will work if there are more segments, too.

WHAT WILL CHANGE?

I'm going to be very, very interested - and I'm sure the editors are too - to see h
ow this impacts the volume of comments. I'm also going to be interested to see if it affects the civility of comments posted. I suspect nothing will change with those of us who use our own names and probably not for those who consistently use a single fictitious "identity". What I suspect will happen is that those few posters who have used multiple names to puff up their side of a debate will slink back into the shadows now that their technique, if you can call it that, will be exposed. We'll know pretty darn soon.

ANONYMIT
Y STILL PROTECTED
If this registration works as apparently intended the meaningful debate of important issues should continue in the online version of the Daily Pilot. Folks can retain their anonymity - to the reading public - and still post their views. There's one guy in town for whom this is going to put a real crimp in his game plan. He's been arguably the most prolific poster on the Daily Pilot blog, using upwards of 70 or so fictitious identities along the way. He'
ll either have to adopt one identity or simply quit posting. Now, wouldn't that be a shame?


"CLEAN SLATE" TIME

So, this is "clean slate" time. I'm looking forward to spirited discussions on the Daily Pilot blog and invite each of you to participate as your passion moves you. The Daily Pilot blog is a tremendous community asset and should be a great tool to enhance the debate of important issues in our area. This change should help it fulfill that promise.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that the registration issue has been resolved...do you think the DP could address another blog issue that bugs? Would it be possible for them to update the blogs on a somewhat regular basis, say...10am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm...or whatever works? That would give everyone a general timeline to check the blogs for updates, as it wastes alot time to keep checking, especially when sometimes they are not updated all day. I realize the editors have lots of other things to do in the newsroom, but perhaps with fewer comments to edit, (because of the requirement to register), it may not be as overwhelming. Just wondering...Tommie

Oh and one more thing...regarding the "letter verification thing", I can't seem to figure out if the 1's are 'ones' or 'Ll's'...I get wrong everytime they pop up. Anyone have a tip for me?

1/22/2008 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Tommie, this whole process will undoubtedly require some fine tuning, including how frequently the editors get to the entries. It's possible that the "Report Abuse" feature will further clog the pipeline since readers can arbitrarily click that link and toss the entry back into the hopper for the editors to review - again. The sheer numbers of comments in recent months have taxed the old system. It's a good thought, though, for Tony and his crew to consider as they work out the bugs.

Speaking of which, I'm with you on that "1", "l", "i" thing. I'm happy to know I'm not the only person flummoxed by it. The numeral one has a more easily defined angle on the top part. However, sorting out the "L" from the " i" is frustrating. I'll pass your suggestion/request along - not that I have any pull with them, but I do complain a lot. :-) :-)

1/22/2008 11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Geoff!

1/22/2008 01:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home