Monday, October 15, 2007

Libraries, Lawsuits and Blog Terrorists



Here's a little early-week potpourri for you to contemplate.







NEW LINK TO THE LIBRARY FOUNDATION
First, over on the right edge o
f this page you will find a new link - for the Costa Mesa Library Foundation. When you have a couple minutes slide on over to the site and familiarize yourself with the efforts of these tireless volunteers who are determined to improve the library situation in Costa Mesa. Don't resist that urge to send them a few bucks to nudge their efforts on down the road. Pick up your pen, write that check and put it in the mail tomorrow.


MORE LEGAL POTHOLES AHEAD

The Costa Mesa City Council meeting tomorrow has a couple of interesting items on the ag
enda. Right off the bat, there's a closed session that includes an item on labor negotiations and - here's the biggie - a discussion of the most recent lawsuit involving the City of Costa Mesa and Benito Acosta. I won't attempt to revisit the last one - which was dismissed two weeks ago because of a gaffe by the attorney for the city. This one is the federal civil rights lawsuit filed by the ACLU on behalf of Acosta. I honestly hope the majority on the council - who tend to see things in black and white - will be able to put their collective egos on the back burner and do what is right for the city - settle this disaster before it drains our coffers and causes further embarrassment to the city. Who knows, maybe all it would take would be for the mayor to suck it up, admit he made a mistake in the heat of the moment and apologize to Acosta. Do you think that will happen? Nah, neither do I.

DAILY PILOT BLOG TERRORISTS
I'm sure many of you visit the Daily Pilot online frequently. This has the potential to be a wonderful tool for the community as the debate of important issues can be pursued. Unfortunately, there is a small cad
re of bitter spoil-sports who are determined to derail almost every comment thread by attacking those who express an opinion instead of addressing the issue at hand. Most of these people are cowards, fearful of attaching their identities to their comments. They are a bunch of bullies who hide behind trees and throw stones - like the insurgents in Iraq that plant IEDs then scurry away like the cockroaches they are. They contribute nothing to the debate and only cause pain and destruction.

VILIFYING SARA HARRIS
Among the most painful comment threads I can remember are those attached to the several articles about the tragic death of Sara Harris last week when she crashed her car in the Mesa Verde area. Regardless the reason for her crash - there are many as yet unsubstantiated theories - the viciousness of some of th
e posts on those articles shakes my faith in humanity. It's beyond me to understand how people can be so cruel and heartless. I find myself wondering if this is really the tenor of the times in Costa Mesa. Has the influence of the current majority been so pervasive that it's unleashed the worst of human nature among many members of our community. If so, what kind of a legacy will that be for our young jailer/mayor and his crew to leave behind? It's a very sad state of affairs. I provided no links to those articles. If you really want to read them, go the Daily Pilot online and find them yourself. If you do, please seek out Publisher Tom Johnson's commentary on this subject which was published last Friday. His view is, by far, the most reasoned discussion of this subject.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The negative comments on Sara are unfortunate but don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to link them to the council majority? Geez. They sound more like Dixon's "puppets" letter or "lilly white" letter or Acosta's f'n racist pig obscenities doncha think?

10/17/2007 04:36:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Commissioner Jim, welcome back. I thought you might have been sulking after having been rejected as a candidate for the Senior Center Board last night. To answer your question, no, I don't think it's a stretch. I think the current majority and their sycophants have created that negative tone on the Daily Pilot blog. Just read the entries and it becomes quite obvious. I'm not really surprised, though. Small people tend to strike out when the truth is exposed. Thanks for writing.

10/17/2007 07:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did you think I would be sulking? Were you hoping I would? Were you happy that I was not chosen, or better yet, rejected? Do I see a "mean people" laughing at me? Enjoy!!

10/17/2007 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Commissioner Jim, nope, I do not take particular joy in the fact that better qualified candidates were chosen over you for those seats. I listened to the discussion and understood the reasoning behind the choices. There's nothing "mean" about it... it's just the way it is. I did think it was interesting, though, that the two applicants chosen were among the four who applied late in the game. Of even greater interest to me was the fact that our young jailer/mayor couldn't get a second to his substitute motion... that was interesting.

Quite honestly, I think those Senior Center Board jobs will take up a lot of time and I have a pretty good idea - although I've never held the seat - that the Planning Commission seat you hold also takes up a lot of time if done well. I am grateful to you for thinking you could serve the community in an even broader capacity. Thanks for that.

Commissioner Jim, I'm not laughing at you. Actually, I'm a little sad for you and your improver pals. First Paul Bunney, cast aside for Riggy on the Planning Commission, now you brushed off for a spot on the Senior Center Board. I understand what was in play with Riggy - political payback and all that. I'm not sure what this last situation tells me, though. What do you think it says? I'm curious...

10/17/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the lady from the senior center who spoke endorsing the winning applicants carried a lot of weight. I know it did for me. As I heard her speak I felt my chances were diminishing. I guess I could have lobbied on my part a little more. I basically just put in my application and never was contacted by any council members about it, never was interviewed about my talents. And, my application itself was a little short on details. I hurried to make sure to get it in on time. I probably should have amended it when they decided to allow late applications. I feel as though I could have done a great job in marketing from what I have learned as, should I say it?, a realtor. I also was a So. Cal regional manager for Nordstrom for 12 years and was involved in many fund raising events for charity there. But the other candidates seemed to have more of a history with the senior center. They probably will do an outstanding job. Could a new perspective from an outsider as myself been good for the center? Who knows? Why Allan did not get a second for me I do not know. Yes, I am curious but it is time to move on and wait for the next opening.

10/18/2007 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Commissioner Jim, good attitude. "The lady from the senior center" was Aviva Goelman, the Executive Director. She runs the place. If you're serious about being involved with the Senior Center, might I suggest that you spend some time at the facility. Perhaps some time with Aviva, picking her brain about what she thinks they need in the way of volunteer assistance, would be helpful to you.

10/18/2007 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know who she was, i didn't know how to spell her name.

10/19/2007 06:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Geoff for giving the Library Foundation some exposure. A new state-of-the-art library would be a great improvement for the city of Costa Mesa. On behalf of the Foundation members, I thank you.

10/19/2007 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home