Sunday, December 10, 2006

"Sore Loser" Speaks Out


Returning from a weekend out of town I found most of a commentary of mine, here, published adjacent to a nice, conciliatory editorial in the Daily Pilot, here. I say "most of" because the editors trimmed about a third of what I sent them, most likely in the interest of community harmony. That's OK, though - my point was made.

Their editorial made many excellent points, the most important of which was their observation that Mayor Mansoor and his majority should consider issues beyond their political base as they go about governing the city. Sounds good to me.

Some writers have taken exception to my post-election demeanor, accusing me of being a "sore loser". OK, I admit that I haven't taken the return of Allan Mansoor and the election of his chosen running mate, Wendy Leece, to the city council very well. The fact is, I don't think they were the best choices available to the voters. I've covered my reasons for feeling that way for several months ad nauseum.

Now, I understand the "wisdom" of extending the hand of congratulations to them and trying to make the best of a very, very bad situation - as both Katrina Foley and Linda Dixon have done. However, the first council meeting following the coronation of Mansoor and Leece proved to us that it will not only be "business as usual", but that there will be even less civility on the dais for the next two years. Mansoor has already demonstrated to us that he will be even less patient with opposing views than before and showed us that he's willing to circumvent the public process by ducking public comment on important issues.

By having Mansoor and Eric Bever re-elected to their positions as Mayor and Mayor Pro Tempore respectively it only affirmed what I had been saying for months - that Leece is there only to echo the opinions of the other two. Gone is Gary Monahan's savvy grasp of the process and occasional voice of reason and mediation. If Leece expresses an original thought during her tenure I will be very surprised - pleased, but surprised.

This is bad news for residents of this city, and for those folks who plan to do business here. We've already seen Mansoor and Bever attempt to micro-manage potential new developments and change the rules on others.

I have this image floating around in my head of Mansoor, Bever and Leece caucusing with their merry band of former malcontents (I say "former" because it's likely they all are happy as clams now following the election) over the holidays to chart their course for the direction of this city over the next decade. I expect they will be considering a clean sweep of the Planning and Parks and Recreation Commissions, backfilling the vacancies with eager members of the "improvers"- payback for those who take credit for getting them elected. I wouldn't be surprised to see one particularly controversial activist considered for another appointment now that the election is behind us. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised to see other members of his family appointed, too.

I expect to see the same thing happen as vacancies occur on city committees, too. We've already seen Bever's penchant to try to stack the deck based on his peculiar view of life. There will be nothing to stop him now.

I will be very interested to see just how the outside influence (and money) that found it's way into the Mansoor/Leece campaign plays out. Jim Gilchrist, the Minutemob head honcho, and some of his minions have already come to Mansoor's defense in post-election letters to the editor recently published in the Daily Pilot.

Of even greater interest to me is just how brazen that certain virulent activist mentioned above will become. Based on my read of his recent blog postings and subsequent actions by our young jailer/mayor, it's clear that Mansoor is singing from the activist's songbook. It might be a coincidence, but I doubt it. Of course, they don't care what I think - or what any other resident thinks, for that matter. They have the majority, so they can - and likely will - do whatever they darn well please.

The activist in question, who very much resembles my theoretical character, Your Neighbor, has taken a particularly aggressive position regarding the Daily Pilot, the newspaper of record for our area. On one hand, he complains about the editors not printing his submissions, then proceeds to figuratively poke them in the eye with a stick. For the past couple weeks he's shredded the editors and publisher in his blog. If he seriously wants to be published in the Daily Pilot, wouldn't you think a more conciliatory posture might work? Of course, this relationship is nothing new. For years he's sparred with the editors and reporters of the Pilot. Ironically, he complains when the Pilot pays attention to him, then gripes when they don't print his drivel. What a buffoon! For a guy who claims to be a Mensa member, he sure can be stupid!

Speaking of the Daily Pilot, they've begun permitting comments to many of their articles in the online version. This has made for some interesting exchanges by readers. One guy recently used this facility to whine about the Pilot not printing letters to the editor he submitted. Aw, poor guy! I've had a similar experience over the years. I'm sure there are many reasons for the editors to not publish submissions - too little space; too many letters saying the same thing or, just plain bad writing. Such is life. The guy should get over it and/or start a blog so he can vent. Works for me.

Since nobody else seems to care about what's going on with our new city council following the election, I guess I'll just have to keep watching and writing. I hope you'll keep on reading and commenting. Grumpy signing off for now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the Pilot won't publish your material perhaps you should consider the Bizarro toliP. The editor is turned off so whatever you post will be published. If your stuff won't fit, feel free to use as many comments as you need.

12/11/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thanks for the offer, but I've got plenty of space right here. The objective of submitting letters to the Pilot is to reach more people, not fewer.

I'm glad you're back in action. Thought you might have gone into hibernation following the election. Welcome back.

12/11/2006 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home