Monday, December 19, 2016

A Sad Remembrance, Again....

THIRTEEN YEARS...
Today, December 19, 2016, marks another sad anniversary for me.  On this date in 2003, at 6:37 p.m., my best friend for 57 years, Larry Moore, passed away in a hospital in Las Vegas following six weeks in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit after a motorcycle accident on a remote desert road.


WE TRIED TO BRING HIM BACK, BUT...
As some know, I spent those six weeks at his side, exercising my durable power of health care he bestowed upon me a decade earlier, trying to help the staff return our friend to us.  Sadly, it was not to be.
FROM THE BEGINNING...
I've written about my friend every year on this date to commemorate the huge part of my life he represented from the very first time I ever saw him when we were about 5 years old.  My mother and I were walking down to the local shopping area when we passed his house.  We heard this little voice yell, "Hey!  Look at me!"  We looked back the driveway we were passing and there, standing on top of his garage roof, was this little guy with a smile  beaming from ear to ear.  And with that he jumped off the roof onto the grassy patch between two concrete strips that formed the driveway.  That was the beginning of a wonderful, lifelong friendship.  I wrote about him a year ago HERE.
HE WAS A FRIEND AND MENTOR TO MANY
Today, as I think of my friend, I will remember all the wonderful times we shared.  I'll remember his 31 years of service as a member of the Los Angeles Police Department, the last half of which he performed as the Athletic Director at the Police Academy.  I will remember the impact he had on every single officer during his tenure in that role, especially those who competed in the Baker-to-Vegas Challenge Cup Relay, which he and his partner on the job, Chuck Foote, created.
SO MANY MEMORIES...
I will remember all the wonderful family times - the holidays, the vacations and just hanging out as young guys.
TO THE END...
With those last few hours burned in my brain, remembering how the staff worked and worked and worked to bring him back from that last crisis when I finally had to tell them to stop and let him go, I leave you with this bit of advice, made even more relevant after my own little health event earlier this year.... Do not wait to tell those you love how you feel about them.  Larry and I knew how we felt about each other - we were best friends in every sense of the word.  So, today - use the holiday as a reason if you need one - make sure those you hold dear KNOW it.  Give them a big hug and tell them you love them.  Life is short.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Flo Martin said...

Many of your fellow Costa Mesans, your many neighbors all around, we LOVE YOU!

12/19/2016 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Right back at ya, Flo. 😘

12/19/2016 01:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home