Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Joyous Side Trip

A PERSONAL DETOUR
As you regular readers already know, sometimes this blog will take a personal side trip - just because I can and I want to.  This is one of those times.
A LONG, LONG CELEBRATION
For the past several days my sweet and very patient wife and I have been celebrating her birthday - which actually fell on Tuesday, the 29th.  I'm not going to tell you how many birthdays this represented, but there's a clue further on down.  Suffice it to say, I was unable to get a fire permit for her cake, so we had to make do the best we could.
A SPECIAL CITY
Our birthday adventure began with a trip to our favorite big city - San Diego.  We did what most tourists do - went to the zoo!  It was a perfect day - except for the 17,000 other people on the grounds, elbowing each other to see the marvelous critters and playing destruction derby with their strollers.  We love the zoo.  We love the special critters and the effort made to create good habitat for them.
AND MORE
We also took in big chunks of other parts of Balboa Park, including the Natural History Museum, where we learned about Fairy Shrimp (are you listening, Steve?) and the plight of Whales in 3D.  We enjoyed all the venues and the street musicians adding melody to the perfect weather.  We loved the flowers. We loved eating hot dogs off a cart and devouring ice cream cones before they ran down our arms.
GREAT GRUB AND A "CAKE"
We celebrated her birthday early with a marvelous dinner overlooking the harbor, where we could see aircraft carriers docked and watch other warships come and go.  She got her first "cake" - actually, a chocolate souffle' - for dessert Saturday night.
SURPRISE AND MEMORIES
On the way home from that wonderful weekend we stopped for an Easter brunch at her brother's house in Laguna Niguel - which actually turned out to be a surprise birthday party for my Sweet Sue. The topper for that party was the fantastic memory book created by six of our nieces and nephews, including some wonderful old images and personal remembrances of Aunt Susie from each of them.  They are wonderful young men and women.  Here are a few of those pages...
MORE GOOD FOOD AND JOY
Then, Tuesday, she and I had lunch and dinner together.  At the latter - one of our favorite local spots - she was presented with a hot fudge sundae with candle as the staff and patrons (much to her chagrin) sang Happy Birthday to her!
THANKS TO ALL
So, thanks to all our Facebook friends who sent my Sweet Sue birthday greetings throughout the day, and to our family and friends who have made it a VERY special birthday, with cards and flowers and gifts for the birthday girl.  It was a wonderful day for a wonderful woman.  It's the great joy of my life to have her by my side, supporting my efforts in all I do.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

Geoff, a wonderful tribute to your better half. She is a wonderful woman. Thank you, Susie, for being there for this guy.

3/30/2016 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Flo Martin said...

Ain't life and love wonderful! You and Sweet Sue are an inspiration to us all! I lift a glass in honor of you both! La chaïm!

3/30/2016 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Here Here!

3/30/2016 11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Ken Nyquist said...

Not that many of us have a best friend for a spouse, but it is obvious that you do Mr. West.

I would never have guessed Mrs. West's age by appearances. You are a very lucky man indeed.

Although I am not family nor a personal friend of either of you, my best wishes to you both.

3/30/2016 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Terry Koken said...

Ah! She's only a young thing! Obviously your good half, as is my own soulmate.

What strikes me, though, is (#9 in sequence) the thinly disguised photograph of Jim Righeimer. It's a poor disguise; I recognized him right away. I hope you did, too.

Congratulations to both of you on your upcoming 49th anniversary. May you have fifty more.

3/30/2016 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Ken, you are correct. I am a lucky, lucky man. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

3/30/2016 03:27:00 PM  
Blogger Honeyman said...

She's waaaaaayyyy too good for you, Geoff. It's wonderful when you marry up, isn't it?

Congrats...love to see a couple as close and in love as you two are.

3/30/2016 07:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Ken Nyquist said...

My pleasure Mr. West.

I am also a very lucky man with my wonderful wife Janet, who is also my best friend in life.

3/30/2016 08:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home