Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bruce Garlich Service Set For Friday, April 1, 2011

VOLUNTEER, ACTIVIST AND LEADER
As mentioned in an earlier post, HERE, Bruce Garlich was the President of the Costa Mesa Senior Corporation Board of Directors at the time of his death, March 22, 2011. He has also been an active participant and leader in the Harbor Area Boys and Girls Club, Lions Club, Costa Mesa United and many other organizations. His was truly a life well-spent.

MEMORIAL SERVICE FRIDAY, APRIL 1ST

A memorial service for Bruce has be
en scheduled for Friday, April 1, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. at Pacific View Memorial Park and Mortuary, 3500 Pacific View Drive, Corona del Mar.



IN LIEU OF FLOWERS...

The family requests that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made in Bruce's name to the Harbor Area Boys and Girls Club, P.O. Box 10297, Costa Mesa, CA 92627. Here's the link to the web site: http://harborareabgc.com/

CARDS AND LETTERS
Cards may be sent to Greg Garlich, 18641 Demion Lane, Huntington Beach, CA 92646.

RECEPTION AT SENIOR CENTER
A reception wil
l be held following the service at the Costa Mesa Senior Center, 695 W. 19th Street, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 beginning at 4:00 p.m.



A GOOD MAN, INDEED

Well, my friends, it became necessary for me to delete the embedded video clip of "A Good Man" by EmersonDrive because some clever person or organization inappropriately found a way to overlay a banner link for the ad recently credited to the non-existent organization, "Repair Costa Mesa", denouncing Costa Mesa mayor Gary Monahan onto this video.

I chose that clip because of the message, which was summarized in the refrain, that I felt described my friend, Bruce Garlich, so perfectly. Here are the words to that refrain:










THE SERVICE WAS WONDERFUL

The service for my friend on Friday, April 1st, was a lovely affair. The chapel at Pacific View was packed by a standing-room-only crowd - well over 150 people - who heard many funny and poignant stories about our friend. He received a fine send-off. Thanks to all who attended and participated.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Sue Pommerville said...

I have known Bruce Garlich since about 1974. I was about 14 years old when I met Bruce. He was a friend and work colleague of my mother and my mom and Marietta (nee: White) Garlich were very close friends.

I remember many dinners at our apartment where I learned many valuable lessons about life. I remember Bruce and Marietta's wedding. I still have a photo album of their wedding that I took with my little 110 camera. I remember Marietta singing to Bruce at their reception, I Left My Heart in San Francisco, as that is where they honeymooned. I remember the day they returned from their honeymoon.

From these three adults who were about my age then, I learned about hardwork, fairness (or the lack of it in this world), committment, priorities, dignity, and most of all humor. I had the pleasure of meeting Bruce's two children, Greg and Lisa in the 1970s. And I remember the absolute heartbreak that Bruce suffered over Lisa's early and untimely death.

I remember learning from him that some things just need to be done, eventhough justice will never be served.
(Continued in next comment)

3/29/2011 09:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Sue Pommerville said...

I remember his pride when attending his son's high school basketball game. They were playing my high school which is why I went with Bruce to the game. I remember my intense feelings of loyalty to my school and Bruce's quiet way of showing me that one day that would not be so important to me and I have lived long enough to know he was right.

When the author of this article describes Bruce Garlich as a good man indeed, no truer words have been written. He was a good man, both in thought and in deed. All of the lessons I have described in the preceeding all came due to Bruce's example, not because of lecturing or rhetoric. You see I had the opportunity of living with Bruce and Marietta for a little while at the end of my high school career. We ate the wonderful dinners together every night that Marietta prepared after a long day at work. We discussed our days. Bruce weekly brought home fresh flowers for the dinner table, saying quietly and matter of factly, that if he could not afford weekly fresh flowers for his home then it was time to give a vice. He wanted those flowers to beautify their apartment and to be a small token of his affection for Marietta.

I remember when they purchased their home in Costa Mesa. They were both very avid tennis players and the community provided easy access to this hobby. I remember as they slowed a down a little bit and took up golf. I remember when they both retired from McDonnell Douglas, Bruce by this time was a important executive whom we jokingly called "the large frommage" (hear a phony french accent). I remember that he wore a nicely tailored 3 piece suit daily to his work and was always impeccably groomed.

When I enrolled in college at age 16 he encouraged me to go and pursue my education. He teased me about a sign that I had on my bedroom door that proudly proclaimed, Sue Pommerville, Commissioner of Social Sciences. That is where my nickname "the Commish" came from years before the TV show and it stuck for all these years.

I remember the many, many times he and Marietta came to stay with us after we moved to the Antelope Valley and I remember when the time came that they were too sick to travel that far from home. I remember the last times I spoke with both Marietta and Bruce. With Marietta it was shortly after my mom passed away in June of 2008. Marietta was so ill by that time and she was attempting to be included in an experimental treatment for her disease. They were unable to make her memorial because of their health. But their love still flowed from them. (continued in next comment)

3/29/2011 09:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Sue Pommerville said...

Then Bruce appeared on facebook and I friended him. Unknowingly, I asked how he and Marietta were doing,not knowing she had passed away. He called me that evening to deliver that sad news. Again with dignity, as Bruce always conducted himself. It was unfortunately the last time he and I spoke, though I followed his postings on facebook. When they became fewer I posted on his wall and asked how he was. Then ironically, it was facebook where I learned of his passing on March 22nd.

Though I have wished that I had been closer to them in the last several years, I will never forget Bruce (or Marietta) Garlich. I will never forget the gifts they gave me over the many years. None of those gifts being something anything tangible, but priceless life long gifts nonetheless.

His life and their lives were lives well lived; filled with good works, hard work, passion, love, integrity, ethics, humor and fun, and so much more. I bid Mr. Bruce Garlich adieu and wish him Godspeed. I hope for his family to find solace in knowing that he was a good man and he lives on through all of us who remember him. "So long, farewell, and goodbye."

3/29/2011 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Sue, thanks for your very moving remembrance of Bruce and Marietta. I certainly didn't know them as long nor as well as you did. Your thoughts affirmed my opinion of them both. I'm really going to miss Bruce. Hope to see you at the memorial service Friday. Thanks, again...

3/29/2011 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you Geoff for you kind words and many years of friendship to both my aunt Marietta and uncle Bruce. It is because of friends like you that we all enjoy life to the degree we do.

Indeed Marietta and Bruce both will be missed. Life could not be lived any fuller than the two of them did. Always there for both family and friends alike. One thing you could always do is to COUNT ON THEM!

I do hope to see you and speak with you at Bruce's service tomorrow afternoon.

Gary B.

4/01/2011 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home