Friday, June 12, 2009

Mansoor Pandering

CRUSIN' THROUGH THE COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA
Yesterday the agenda for the Costa Mesa City Council meeting for Tuesday, June 16, 2009 was made available online. As
is my practice, I scrolled down through it to see what fun might be in store for us next week.

LOTS OF GOOD STUFF
I blew on p
ast the re-authorization of a 2% tax for the Business Improvement Area; the two items about the proposed In-N-Out Burger joint on Harbor Blvd. and the 405 Freeway; the items dealing with the proposed budget and the item addressing the agreement on the operation of the Costa Mesa Public Golf Course and Country Club. Each of those will take some time Tuesday night and really deserve more than a passing mention.

THE HECK, YOU SAY!
What eventually caught my eye - and frosted my fanny - near the end of the agenda was New Business #1, which reads as follows:

"Request by Mayor Allan Mansoor to consider adoption of a resolution entitled: A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF COSTA MESA, CALIFORNIA, RECOGNIZING THE FLAG OF THE FORMER REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM AS THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE VIETNAMESE PEOPLE OVERSEAS."

(the flag)

PHEW!
Now, I know that our young jailer (is he still one?)/mayor is an awkward politician at best, but this absolutely REEKS! Talk about pandering to the electorate! What in the world does this item have to do with Costa Mesa? The answer is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This is pure political opportunism, us
ing his position as Mayor of Costa Mesa to engage in political pandering to the large Vietnamese population who reside in California Assembly District 68! Oh, yes... did I mention that Mansoor has announced he's running for Van Tran's Assembly seat - the 68th Assembly seat?

HOW ABOUT MEXICO?
Hey, Mr. Mayor, how about a resolution naming the flag of Mexico as the official flag of the local Mexican expatriates? Oh, that's right... there may be a lot of them, but they don't vote.


HOW ABOUT IRELAND?
What about naming the flag of the Republic of Ireland the official flag of all those nice folks from Dublin and Killarney who live in our city? Well, there are not many of them around here, right?

WHAT ABOUT THE REST?
What about the Brits, French, Germans, Poles, Slavs, Nigerians, etc....?

THEY ARE NOT STUPID, MR. MAYOR!
Mr. Mayor, do you really think so little of those voters of Vietnamese ancestry living in the
68th Assembly District that you actually believe they will be fooled by this little shallow gesture? Don't you think at least a few of them might be angry at you for this deception? Don't you think your opponents will use this amateurish pandering against you? What a fool!


INEPT POLITICAL OPPORTUNIST

You, Mr. Mayor, are the worst example I can remember of a flagrant, inept politician. You should be ashamed of yourself and should apologize to the voters of Costa Mesa for your selfish self-promotion while on the dais. You should also apologize to the Vietnamese-American community for this offensive manipulation.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Humberto said...

Well, my good friend Geoff, I think Mansoor finally read Machiavelli's seminal book "The Prince". I've been watching and following quite closely his campaign for a State Assembly seat, and I have to recognize that all of these years in the Costa Mesa City Council have helped him to understand what to pull and what not to push in order to get to the next level. When I think about the Vietnamese-American community, often the Cuban-American community comes to my mind. There are, of course, many differences between these two groups, but their nationalistic feelings and dislike, perhaps hate, for communism are unmeasured. Mannsoor is trying to get some sympathy and public notice from the Vietnamese community. I guess politically that's OK, especially if you apply Machiavelli's rules and recommendations. Unfortunatetly for him, a highly conservative community like the Vietnamese, which has been known to vote along ethnic lines, is unlikely to vote for someone who doesn't even come from its own city. I say marry a Vietnamese lady (Mansoor is single --don't know why) or run for the Democratic ticket. At the end of the day Mansoor will decide for none of the two. So his trip to Sacramento will have a huge problem right when he gets on to Fountain Valley soil. It will get worse when he gets to Westminster.

6/13/2009 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger mesa verde madman said...

what an opportunistic twit...that's about all i can say

6/13/2009 01:45:00 PM  
Anonymous sez me said...

Mr. Caspa, I take exception to your noting that Allan is not married. If you are hinting that he may be gay - and be honest, you know you are - you should have the courage to address it directly and point out why it is important. Have you questioned the marital status of any other unmarried recent candidates? No. Until you come clean, your sneaky, back door attempt to smear Allan is nothing less than despicable. A man of character will apologize.

6/13/2009 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger Humberto said...

Sez me said,

Mr/Ms. Sez, I feel I have no need to apologize to anybody. When I said that Mansoor was still single, I simply said it because that's how it is. I never meant to question his sexuality. Just to let you know I have a few friends who are over 40 and aren't married yet. Do I think they are gay because of that? No. Do I care if they're gay? No. Even if they were gay, they would still be my friends. Do I care about Mansoor's marital status? No. Would I care if he were gay?. No. Sorry, I don't think I said anything wrong.

6/13/2009 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Humberto, thanks for clearing up the apparent confusion for the anonymous "sez me". I assume he, she or it will be satisfied with your explanation - I am.

That being said, "sez me", why so sensitive to the mayor's marital status? My understanding is that he was married, but is divorced... don't know for sure. Besides, in these enlightened times, it really doesn't make any difference if he's chosen an alternate life style, does it? I understand there are over 500,000 people expected in the gay pride celebration in West Hollywood tomorrow. "sez me", methinks thou doest protest too much.

6/13/2009 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home