Thursday, January 15, 2015

Sunday With The Mayor A Success - Kind Of

A SEMI-SUCCESS
Based on reports from the scene and my little peek into the action last Sunday, Rookie Mayor Steve Mensinger's Sunday meeting with residents was a success.  Well, not a complete success, but a good start, anyhow.

A BAKER'S DOZEN SHOWED UP
According to City sources, thirteen (13) people showed up beginning at 2 p.m. to chat with the mayor on issues important to them.  The last person left around 4:15 - a few minutes longer than anticipated.

NOT MUCH "PRIVATE TIME"
From reports I've received, the event was not exactly what some of the individuals had hoped for.  Many expected to have some private time with Mensinger during which they would present their question/issue to him for a personal discussion.  That's not how it played out.

MORE LIKE A GROUP HUG
According to sources, after the first person arrived and had a few minutes alone with Mensinger in the 5th floor conference room, another group arrived and joined in.  Then, a few minutes later, another group appeared.  It turned out that eight (8) people were chatting with the mayor on a variety of issues - kind of like a mini-town hall.  Sources tell me that those eight folks filtered out by around 3:15 or so.  Although I don't have any first person knowledge of the last hour of the confab, I'll presume the remaining five people  had a similar experience.

SECOND INSTALLMENT PLANNED
I'm told that there will, in fact, be a second installment of this event on February 8th, although I don't know if there will be any fine-tuning of the format.  It seems to me that if people take time out of the middle of their Sunday to chat with the mayor on something they think is important, then they should have his undivided attention for whatever period is allowed and not share that time with others.  That would also mean that he'd have to leave his cell phone off, but I'm not sure he could manage that kind of deprivation, even for a short time.

FINE-TUNING THE FORMAT
That, of course, would require some "scheduling", but that's not a problem. Sharon Rodelius was ready, willing and able to do that scheduling earlier in the week.  For example, if I felt the need to present an issue to the mayor privately that I thought might take fifteen minutes, I could request that amount of time with him on Sunday.  Others could do the same.

HOPE THE ROOKIE REPORTS
I hope the mayor will present his views on how this first event went from his perspective at the next council meeting next week.  I also hope they will do some tweaking of the process to provide private time with The Rookie.

EXPECTING TRUTH... DISAPPOINTED
Oh, yes, a reminder that one Julie Mercurio - if that's really her name - lied on Facebook about my presence at City Hall last Sunday, portraying my two-minute chat with Sharon Rodelius on the City Hall steps as "lurking" and said I had a camera with me - I didn't.  No lurking, no camera - only lies from Mercurio.  That's certainly something to remember when you read her posts on the Costa Mesa Public Square Facebook site - truth seems not to be important to her.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Mr. Verbose said...

Julie Mercurio aka Julie Weinheimer making the rare "liar" list here is something.
Maybe 10 times in 9 years you have used that term if I used the search feature right.
She is not on any commission applications, so her interest must be in the "other" category.
Monahan and Mercurio must be on the same track in town. Is that a whiff of ganja back there? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521589144783526/

1/15/2015 08:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Arthur Nern said...

Babs Venezia's new piece mentions Mercurio's "truth-bending." Weinheimer rhymes with Righeimer. Maybe they share a liar gene through ancestors.

1/15/2015 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Tamar said...

The idea of face-to-face dialogue is promising. Minds are often pretty well made up before a council meeting, and public comments are often ignored. Back-and-forth conversation is a good thing, and informally before a final vote is the best way and time to consider suggestions carefully.

It would be very useful for citizens to provide brief reports giving their impressions of the conversation. What issues did the citizen bring up, and how did the mayor respond?

1/15/2015 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous breaking bad said...

This Julie person comes on the scene just before the election with this phoney, oh please can you help me? I don't know how to vote or the issues and I want to learn. Now she is running the propaganda blog. The only thing sadder about this other than watching her try to swindle others is how pathetic she was at it.

1/16/2015 12:24:00 AM  
Anonymous lovemygarden said...

Well, they certainly have their panties are twisted up over on Costa Mesa Public Square about this. Julie "Pinocchio" Mercurio Weinheimer must have forgotten there is such a thing as a screenshot because here is what she originally posted (which is now deleted):

"The first Meet the Mayor was today and 19 people showed up!!! I read there was great feedback which is good news! The more disturbing news is that Geoff West who is a blogger in town was walking around outside with his camera and as one person termed it was "creepy". Why would he not come in.
He denigrates so many so often, what would make him opt to lurk outside taking pictures vs coming in?"

She now claims that she received the information from someone else. Well, if that is the case, then she should have written that in the first place because other than she read there was great feedback, it appears that it was a first-hand account.

I wonder how much Julie is being paid to mount this social media campaign. Oh, I can see it now: “I don’t get paid a thing!” Except there would be exclamation points and happy faces ad nauseam.

1/16/2015 04:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Where's My Coffee? said...

Oh come on...Its not like this is her first lie. She started out with a lie (Oh woe is me, I'm so innocent I don't know how to vote...) and it just got compounded from there. She's a train wreck. Beware.

1/17/2015 08:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home