Sunday, February 03, 2013

Large Critters and Large Numbers

 (The view from the boardwalk this weekend)
WHERE HAVE I BEEN?
"Where have you been, Potstirrer?", you ask...  Well, you will recall from a previous entry, HERE, that it's prime time for viewing the Piedras Blancas elephant seal colony near Hearst Castle up on the central coast.  I know some of you have made the trip to visit that beautiful part of our state and have seen those magnificent animals in person.  Others of you may have visited the web site that includes a web cam that shows live images during the day and a tape at night, HERE.
(Serious fighting over mating rights. One second later the really BIG guy on the left chomped on the tail end of the left combatant and both skeedaddled) 
NOW'S THE TIME!
I must tell you that there's really nothing quite like a personal visit to the boardwalk four miles north of Hearst Castle on California Highway 1 this time of the year, when there are pups popping out like Pez, huge males fighting for mating rights and the mating that occurs as a result.
(An Alpha Male declaring his dominance)
 (A "loser", identified by the scars on his back received when running away)
 GONE AWHILE
So, I snuck off for a few days, knowing full well that you'd miss me while I was gone.  My bag of technological tricks I took with me let me down, so I couldn't post new blog entries but did manage to post all the comments you sent my way.  Well, those that were at least marginally worthy of posting.  We can discuss that another time.


(Love is in the air.  Alpha male mating with female.  Nearly weaned pup beside them)
STILL TIME THIS YEAR
I want to remind you that there's still time to take a nice weekend drive up the coast - it's about 270 miles from Costa Mesa - spend the weekend in Cambria or San Simeon - or Cayucos, if you prefer - and see the critters.  Of course, you'll need to stop in to the Hearst Castle Visitor Center for a snack or souvenirs, too.  Prime time will continue through this month, although there are elephant seals on the beach all year long.
("Mom" and her pup, nursing.  Note Cookie Cutter Shark bites on her chest)
(Too many pups.  She was trying to nurse 7.  She can only adequately support 1.  All the pups will surely die soon)
LOOK FOR THE "FRIENDS"
When you visit the boardwalk look for folks wearing bright blue windbreakers - they are the volunteers from the Friends of the Elephant Seal who are there to answer every question you may have about the elephant seals.  Many of them have been performing their duties for more than 15 years and have racked up more than 3,000 hours of volunteer time to help make your visit more enjoyable.
 (Guides helping a group of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo students)
Have fun..

*****
A MILLION THANKS
And, while I was gone my hit counter that measures the number of page views for this blog since I switched to this host back in November of 2006 blitzed right past the 1,000,000 mark!  When I arrived home late Saturday night this is how it looked.  Thanks to all of you who keep the meter spinning.  I appreciate your interest and comments, even though I've had to reject more than a few lately.  That's what happens when I post about our pal, Fitzy.  Please keep returning to this site when you feel so moved.  This will not be the only post tonight.  Thanks, again.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Eileen Truxton said...

Great analogy! We could caption every picture with the current City Council.

2/04/2013 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger kwahlf said...

Congratulations on passing the 1,000,000. mark, Geoff!

2/05/2013 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Thanks, Karin, for being one of those numbers.

2/05/2013 04:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home