Friday, September 23, 2011

Kent Treptow - Walking Across America

CHANGE OF PACE
Today I present to you a palate-cleanser - somet
hing with which you can flush your brain and come away feeling very refreshed. Today I give you the opportunity to wander across this wonderful country with my friend, Kent Treptow.



A LITTLE WALK
As some know, Kent - a Daily Pilot photographer for years - began a solitary stroll across the country a little over 100 days ago. He began in Maine and has reached the theoretical center of the country, in Kansas. Along the way he has been providing us with a blog record of this adventure. It has been fascinating reading.

AND A FEW PHOTOS, TOO

Although he's a very skilled photographer, this has not been a photo essay per se. In fact, he didn't post many photos at all for the first month or so. The photo above was borrowed from his blog - I thought it was appropriate and hope he won't mind me using it to lure you to his site.

AN EMOTIONAL AND INTELLECTUAL ENEMA

So, flush all this local politics out of your systems - forget about the hostile takeover of our city and the ouster of the Orange County Market Place from the Fairgrounds by vindictive political operatives... forget all the rancor. Spend some time this weekend visiting Kent's site. I've given you the link, HERE, and also on the right side of my home page. I could have just linked to the blog, but wanted you to see some of his fantastic local photos as you made your way there. The trip account link is at the left of his home page. I'll keep my link up until he completes his trek so you can quickly and easily keep track of his adventures.

Here are a few recent quotes from his blog, just to reel you in.

***
Early in my day I meet a couple who have been married nearly 70 years. Outside an old farmhouse on a swinging bench, holding hands, listening to the birds, dangling their feet. He’s humming songs to her, they’re both smiling. Souls woven so so tightly together you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins. I think when one passes the other will go quickly, very quickly, because for one to live alone is to not live at all. The face of love is worn and gray, and very beautiful, and it’s smiling out from a porch near Burrton, Kansas.

***
Another day just walking. It starts off in a tiny no-name cafe, where I see the same cowboys I saw yesterday. They’ve all got on the same off-white cowboy hats, just dirty enough to tell they’ve been working and not just strutting down the street. Nice guys, very polite. I ask them what they’re doing today. “Chasing cows.”

***
I don’t think the church was haunted but a great thunderstorm passed overhead in the middle of the night that upped the creepy factor. Of course I had to sneak into the sanctuary to watch lightning flashing through the stained glass windows. Magic.

***

Enjoy...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Flo Martin said...

I have marveled in great awe over Kent's work for decades! He inspires the soul to see the unseen. Thanks for the link to his website. I'm hooked!

9/23/2011 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Flo, I hope you and other readers will meander back through to the early days of this adventure. I've already told Kent I'm lining up to buy the book!

9/23/2011 04:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Robin said...

Still only 2 comments? And one of them yours? This was for sure a breath of fresh air, very interesting, definitely a change of pace. And another way to watch minutes turn into hours, another afternoon lost on the internet. I'm hooked too. Would you post the link every now and then with a reminder to tune in?

9/28/2011 08:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home