Friday, December 31, 2010

THE "DP 103" ANNOUNCED!

THE BEST LAID PLANS...
Well, I had fully intended my previous entry to be the last of the old year, but...

TODAY IS "DP 103" DAY!
The good folks at the Daily Pilot chose today, the last day of the year, to announce the latest iteration of the DP 103 - one hundred three people and things that they deemed to be the most influential in the Newport-Mesa community over the past year. Here's the link to the article.

MOST ON
MY LIST MADE THE CUT
The editors solicited input from the community recently to help them fill out their roster, so good citizen that I am, I fired off a message listing some nominees. Happily, I noted as I scrolled down the roster late last night online, that they'd included about 60% of those names I submitted. I'm sure I was not the only one to submit them. And, NO, I was not on my list! The remainder of my submissions didn't make the cut - being beat out by #102, Babe the Bobcat and #103, 'Fiddler" the seal. Oh, well.. :-)

SIDE-BY-SIDE
For the second time I was included in this list, which made me smile.
This is a fun exercise, scrolling down the list of your friends and neighbors (there are some who are neither, too) and chuckling at the reasons for the selection. I know the editors put a lot of effort into this year-end effort and clearly have some fun doing it. For example, they snuggled up some folks adjacent to others with whom they have tenuous relationships. Register columnist Barbara Venezia, at #64, immediately follows her political nemesis and Orange County Fair Board President and political king maker Dave Ellis, at #63. I have to chuckle about that pairing because of the history between them.

OPPONENTS JUXTAPOSED
Another fun grouping is #12, Sandra Genis; #13, Guy Lemmon; #14, Steve Beazley and #15, Jose Solorio. All those folks were among the most prominent luminaries in the Great Fairgrounds Debacle that dominated the news the last two years of this decade. As I read those names in a line like that I can't help but reflect on the many encounters they've had with each other as the Fairgrounds issue was flogged and flogged and flogged.

WHAT A "SANDWICH"!
I, on the other hand, at #65 am the "meat", as it were, sandwiched between the vivacious #64, Barbara Venezia and the delightful #66, Crissy Brooks. Couldn't ask for better company near the middle of the pack.


RIGHEIMER NOT MY CHOICE FOR #1

I was surprised at the ranking of Jim Righeimer as #1, but I suppose it makes some sense
- even though he doesn't. This year there probably has been no more controversial a local figure than old Riggy. My choice for the top spot would have been soon-to-retire Costa Mesa City Manager Allan Roeder. In my book, he tops the list - any list - when it comes to his contribution to our community. Instead, the editors placed him at #3, just ahead of his Newport Beach peer, Dave Kiff.

MC EVOY ON THE LIST
I was hap
py that young Chris McEvoy, at #34, was chosen for this list. Despite running the barest of bare-bones campaigns he fought a good fight and gave Righeimer a real reason to worry. Both the cities served by the Daily Pilot need bright young folks to get involved in the political process. Let's hope McEvoy's actions encourage others to participate.

SOME MISSING "REGULARS"

There were a few "regulars" who didn't appear this year, including a gru
mpy old guy who operates another local blog. That's OK, though... this is a fun thing and I'm sure he lives every day without a smile.

THANKS TO THE DAI
LY PILOT
Thanks to Editor John Canalis and the rest of the good folks at the Daily Pilot for, once again, providing this fun, interesting exercise for us to ponder. It's interesting to see your friends and neighbors recognized for the contributions they make to the community, and to read unfamiliar names and accomplishments that broaden our appreciation of the terrific folks who inhabit the Newport-Mesa. Have fun as you read down the list...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
So, on the 44th anniversary of our very first date, my sweet and patient wife and
I wish you all a very Happy New Year. I hope you'll find reasons to visit this site often next year - it looks like it's going to be another interesting one!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Terry Shaw said...

Geoff - congrats on making the list and to all the others as well if they are reading this.
and a happy new year to all as well.

12/31/2010 07:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Terry, thanks.. there are many, like yourself, much more deserving... thanks for all you do. Happy New Year to you and your clan.

12/31/2010 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Guess What? said...

I hate to break this to you Geoff, but your good buddy Gericault has been hanging out over at CM PRRSS. Just want to make sure you saw this:

Gericault said...
http://www.ci.costa-mesa.ca.us/departments/monrovia-project/Westside%20Lofts%20Draft%20MND%20w%20exh%2009-04-07.pdf

December 31, 2010 8:31:00 AM PST

1/02/2011 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger The Pot Stirrer said...

Guess What?, thanks, but "my buddy" Gericault doesn't answer to me. I'm happy he's trying to inform and educate the guy over there who has no real interest in anyone else's opinion on any subject. Thanks for looking out for me, though. I'm sure your intentions were pure. :-)

1/02/2011 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Gericault said...

LOLLOLOLOL!!!!

1/03/2011 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Gericault said...

LOL!

I feel like I got caught doing something dirty....

1/03/2011 12:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home